By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Introducing myself (a bit late)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Diane Ford17/09/2014 14:22:16
469 forum posts
60 photos

It's a few weeks since I joined this forum, and I think it's time I introduced myself properly. I'm 61 years old and I suffer from CFS/ME, which means I'm often in a state where I'm fit for nothing, so please bear with me if I seem to disappear from sight for a while.

I loved sewing from a very young age, and I can still remember the 5 year old me standing in a queue at my teacher's desk, patiently waiting for my needle to be threaded so I could get on with my sewing. I started using my grandma's old Singer hand crank sewing machine to make my own clothes when I was about 11, and bought my own Jones electric sewing machine when I was 14, with my money from my Saturday job in a clothes shop and babysitting.

I continued to sew, and over the years made clothes for myself and my family, curtains, cushions, soft toys, dressed felt mice, etc. About 30 years ago I bought a Singer sewing machine that was supposedly better than my Jones machine, because it would do more than just straight stitches. That machine was problematic right from the start, and sewing with it was frustrating and unenjoyable. Eventually I just drifted away from sewing completely, and a few years ago I gave all my sewing equipment away.

Over the past year or so I started thinking I would like to get back into sewing again, so a couple of months ago I bought a lovely new Janome sewing machine from Sewing Machines Direct. So far I haven't done much with it, but I have made a reversible bag for my 10 year old niece that I'm quite please with, and she seems to love it.

I haven't done any patchwork quilting yet, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I've been gathering equipment and supplies over the past few weeks, but I'm still trying to summon up the courage to actually start making my first quilt. I was going to start with a nine patch throw/lap quilt, and have bought the fabric squares and batting for it, but I now think I'm going to do a few mug rugs and smaller projects to build my confidence first.

I enjoyed making the ATC for Thimble, and although it's not up to the same standard that others produce, I hope she likes it. I love reading the posts in this forum, and I hope I can take part in many more forum swaps in the future.

Edited By Diane Ford on 17/09/2014 14:24:01

Marian T17/09/2014 14:44:55
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles

Hi Diane

Welcome to the forum even though you have already settled in somewhat. It's a great place to be for quilting, sewing, bags or any kind of fabric project really.

As you can know, the best way to get involved is just put your name down as the rewards are enormous. You can learn from, and teach others various skills and we have a very supportive and caring community on PP.

I have fibromyalgia and I can empathise with your health issue as it can be much worse but swap partners and organisers are patient as we all have 'life' get in the way at times. I look forward to seeing your work but mainly I want to say that the most important thing is to enjoy it.

Marian face 23

Edited By Marian T on 17/09/2014 14:45:22

Irene B17/09/2014 14:56:11
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Welcome Diane. Sounds like you have always enjoyed to sew. Patchwork is very addictive wink 2 If you look on the Home page you will see on the right and left hand sides our partners that have a good selection of fabric. Also if you navigate through Projects (at the top of the page) you will find lots of projects to try from Beginners to Advanced. You will have so much fun joining in the Swaps too.

I will send you a Friend Request - you will see Friends at the top of the page and it will be flashing - just accept. That's all there is to it. You will see your Friends appearing on the right hand side of the screen under My Friends.

Irene x rose

Edited By Irene B on 17/09/2014 14:58:52

Margaret S17/09/2014 15:28:04
4027 forum posts
759 photos

Welcome Diane. You are right to start with small projects first, but you will soon get hooked!

Enjoy your new machine. Over the years I have bought 2 machines from SMD, a Pfaff and a Janome Horizon. Russell is always very helpful if you have a problem or want advice.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your work.

Margaret

Sylvia17/09/2014 16:55:26
2193 forum posts
368 photos

/Welcome from me too Diane. My advice would be to play with your Janome trying out all it's features on little projects. Am sure you will enjoy it.

stephs stitches.17/09/2014 17:01:30
177 forum posts
114 photos

Hello Diane, your introduction was a lovely read. I too remember standing at teachers desk, I remember one day I took my sewing to show her that I had "fastened off " by sewing three stitches on top of each other just like mum had shown me, but I hadn't realised I shouldn't do that with wool on canvas , what a mess!.

My mum made all my clothes when I was little so I had all the left over bits to make dolls clothes, the little girls nowadays miss out on that because they can all be bought .

I grew up in the 70s and dressmaking was quite popular then, we used to buy lots of remnants from the local markets. But now as we have no "rag trade" in England now to speak of ; no market stalls either.

Anyway did carry on and made my wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses and then clothes for my little boys.Until  I too lost interest until I discovered patchwork and yes it is addictive and a lovely way to relax. The rest of the story can be found in my picture album, well, most of it anyway.......

Edited By stephs stitches. on 17/09/2014 18:18:51

pamela jeffrey17/09/2014 19:36:30
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Hello Diane

Hope you enjoy your sewing and welcome

Bye Pam

Diane Ford17/09/2014 20:09:04
469 forum posts
60 photos

Thank you, everyone. Irene, I've accepted your friend request.

Diane

mandy17/09/2014 22:33:00
1068 forum posts
153 photos

Welcome to this fabulous forum, I am a 'Janome girl' and love my machines, I also bought a singer hand crank machine I bought a couple of years ago and she is a lovely little machine, sews like a dream. I started sewing at school and have made quite a few things over the years but patchwork and quilting has taken over my life - and my house.

take care

Mandy

Diane Ford17/09/2014 23:03:16
469 forum posts
60 photos

Hi Mandy

I've just adopted a 1916 Singer 99K hand crank. Her name is Matilda (or Tilly for short) and I love sewing with her.

There's something magical about using these beautiful old machines. It's hard to explain it, and I probably sound like I'm completely mad for saying this, but it's almost like they are a part of you. There's a connection with your machine that you don't feel when you use a modern one. Sewing with an old hand crank machine feels closer to sewing by hand than sewing by machine.

Well, that's me marked down as a complete loony now, so I'll stop before someone calls for the men in white coats to take me away.

Diane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues