By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Quilting question from a new (ish) quilter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cat Dalton19/08/2014 13:21:59
6 forum posts
4 photos

Hi everyone,

I have been subscribing to PP for 18 months now and been making patchwork quilts for just a little longer. I have mainly made baby quilts plus a couple of single bed quilts as Christmas presents.

My current project is a memory quilt for my aunt using some of her late husbands shirts. I have made a bed runner using the slanted star method and backed it with unbleached flannel, however I am having a quilting dilemma.

I have 14 stars (in pairs) along the quilt however and have started my quilting by going around each star once (in the ditch). I would like to try and echo the stars a couple more times, however I would like to do this on the back rather than the front so I can see the outline from my previous star better.

Will this work okay, or should I stick to quilting the front?

I normally only quilt in the ditch and this would be my first attempt at echo quilting. I am currently using a walking foot as I haven't mastered free style quilting yet.

Margaret S19/08/2014 20:34:05
4027 forum posts
759 photos

Hi Cat

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy looking around.

It is certainly possible to quilt from the back. Sometimes it is done when you want to follow a pretty design on the backing fabric or have a thicker thread in the bobbin for surface embellishment on the quilt top.

In your case you would need to check that you have a perfect tension and that your shirt fabrics would not move and form tucks when you are quilting. It may be a bit ambitious for a newish quilter. I don't know what your walking foot is like but on my Pfaff I use my 1/4" foot with the IDT(walking foot mechanism) engaged and run this along the previous quilting line.

So you really need to experiment and see what suits you. Echo quilting also looks great when done by hand, but this may not be your thing. Look forward to seeing photos when the quilt is finished. I am sure that your aunt will love it what ever you decide to do.

Margaret

Marian T19/08/2014 20:41:54
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles

Hi Cat

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy getting involved with our group - look forward to seeing your work in the future.

Marian face 23

Sylvia20/08/2014 12:53:12
2193 forum posts
368 photos

Hi Cat, welcome from me too. I have done a fair bit of quilting from the back using thicker bobbin threads for effect. Doubt if you want to do this though as it might be too heavy for echo quilting inside the stars. As Margaret said it's obviously important to have the bottom tension perfect if you do it from the back. Go for it I say.

Good luck.

Cat Dalton20/08/2014 13:20:23
6 forum posts
4 photos

Hi everyone

Thank you for your responses, I would not have thought about the tension so this is a handy tip. I think I will do a tester and then go for it on the quilt. I also would not have considered using a thicker thread in the bobbin to add embellishment, I will store this tip for a future project (just need to pick one from my list)

Cat.

Peg Botham22/08/2014 00:27:28
31 forum posts
15 photos

A warm welcome to you Cat, as they others say the fabric can pucker, the thicker thread in the bobbin is a tip to store I've never thought of that. Perhaps if you bought a shirt from a charity shop in similar material and made a 12" sq sample piece with batting and backing you could practice without ruining your quilt. I'm not brave enough to just 'go' for it on a quilt to much hard work put in if it goes wrong😊

looking forward to seeing your finished quit.

Peg x

Cat Dalton24/09/2014 13:16:33
6 forum posts
4 photos

Hi All

I have finished my quilt and added two photos of it below, I decided to just go round the stars three times as I thought it might look a bit cramped adding another star. I think it looks okay for a first attempt and my Aunt was very pleased when I delivered it at the weekend. Thanks again for your advice and I hope to post more projects soon

rscn5659.jpg dscn5650.jpg

Katy24/09/2014 15:10:35
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Cat, that is lovely! Three times was just right for the echoes, I love it. You've made a lovely job of the quilting, well done!

Marian T24/09/2014 15:23:12
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles

That's lovely Cat. Well done.

Marian thumbs up

Carol B24/09/2014 15:50:39
3003 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Beautiful quilting Cat, it's perfect

Carol B

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues