By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

help me date this quilt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kimberly riedlinger02/06/2014 23:01:39
1 forum posts

i inherited 8 quilts and several large boxes of fabric scrap and quilt blocks. My husband's grandmother preferred knitting so all of great - grandmother's stuff was backed away.(they didn't throw any thing away. Not even used envelopes.)

1 of the quilts led me to your sit. It is a feed sack quilt. On the inside of 1 of the backside panels there is a logo saying NUTRENA ALL MASH EGG PELLETS. There is no registered trade make or patent mark. Nutrena got it's patent in 1922. Does this mean it is older then 1922?

The quilt is primarily a peach/orange color with a 6 point star pattern. It is all hand sewn. 64" X 76".

Irene B03/06/2014 09:15:18
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Hi Kimberly,

How interesting that you have inherited such wonderful quilts. I have a book called Sugar Sack Quilts by Glenna Hailey which gives a brief history of sugar/feed sacks. It says that most people associate feed sacks with the depression of the early 1930's. Another very well known quilter is Eleanor Burns who has talked about sugar sacks. She briefly mentions them in her book Egg Money Quilts.

I'm sure there must be more references if you were to look on the internet. Do you have a photo of the quilt you could show us?

Irene rose

Margaret S03/06/2014 10:13:49
4027 forum posts
759 photos
I think that the Quilters Guild offers a dating service. Good luck with finding out the history of this quilt.

Margaret
Beryl Hedley03/06/2014 10:17:20
821 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Kimberly

Do you live near a museum ? They may be able to help you date your quilt.

I live near to Beamish Museum in county Durham and they have many old quilts and are always willing to help with this kind of problem.

I have helped at Beamish on re rolling days . It is very interesting not only to see these old quilts but to help preserve them for future generations.

Beryl

Katy04/06/2014 10:09:28
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

All the above are very good suggestions, please can we see a photo, this quilt sounds lovely.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues