By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Lend with care

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
rosemary Rosenfeld05/06/2014 14:02:51
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Here are the details of another sewer looking for a loan!

"Zafar Iqbal runs a tailoring business in an area of Lahore. He is 41 and single. He has two brothers and four sisters. Two of his sisters are studying while another two have completed their studies and help with the household chores. One of his brothers unfortunately is unemployed while another works and earns 8,000 rupees per month. Zafar Sahib has been running the business for ten years from rented premises. He started learning tailoring at a young age and is now very skilled, indeed quite renowned locally. He sews the latest designs of gentlemen’s clothes, locally called ‘shalwar kameez’ and ‘kurta’. People of his locality are his customers. He earns 12,000 rupees per month on average. His household expenses are hardly manageable; he reckons they pay 3,500 rupees for utility bills and 15,000 rupees for food and clothing. He is planning to expand his business as he has good customer potential. He wants to buy a new sewing machine and will hire a new employee so he can get more sewing orders. He will pay him 120 rupees per suit".

Best Rosemary

Fiona05/06/2014 23:25:07
3107 forum posts
463 photos

Just added a liitle more Rosemary. We think it is wonderful how quickly some requests can be fulfilled, and how such a small amount from this country can make a big difference elsewhere.

rosemary Rosenfeld05/06/2014 23:44:04
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Thank you Fiona and Isabella! I find it quite amazing too!

Best Rosemary

rosemary Rosenfeld06/06/2014 18:34:31
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I can'tfind Zadar so I assume he is fully funded now!

Best Rosemary

rosemary Rosenfeld07/06/2014 12:51:35
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I am just in the process of transferring some money to the account so that I can make a loan but at present we can only make one! Here are the details of 2 people seeking loans at the moment.

Muhammad Nadeem Munir is from Chah Motian from the large city of Lahore. He lives in a rented home and pays 5,000 rupees per month as rent. Nadeem Sahib is 43 and married with two sons and three daughters – two of his children attend school costing him about 2,000 rupees per month while his other children have completed their basic education. Nadeem Sahib’s family is very hard working and motivated. He makes decorated fabrics from his home and has been in this business for the last year or so. He his helped by his wife and elder daughter as it is a home based business. Nadeem Sahib buys materials (this includes beads shaped as pearls, stones, artificial diamonds, gum and plain lace) from the market and puts all these on the fabrics. Nadeem Sahib uses electrical iron rods. The iron rod heats up in order to put the decorations on the fabric. He is pictured with his wife undertaking the work. Nadeem Sahib visits markets and gets the orders. Their business generates a profit of around 16,000 rupees a month. He thinks he can expand the business further and he applied for a loan of 20,000 rupees repayable in 14 installments. The money is to buy greater lengths of plain lace (in different designs and colours) and bigger quantities of fancy material so that he can produce and sell more.

Muhammad Afzal is a tailor from an area called ‘Mehmood Abad’ in the large north-eastern city of Lahore. He is the only person earning an income in his household. He has one son and two daughters, two of whom are enrolled in school while the third has finished basic schooling. He lives in his own house. Afzal Sahib is a tailor and his speciality is making men’s trousers and shirts locally called ‘Shalwar Kameez’. His customers tend to be different retailers who run market stalls as well as local people. He also stitches political banners when asked. Afzal Sahib earns about 15,000 rupees per month (about $153). He reckons that his monthly outgoings are often as high as 3,000 rupees for utilities, 12,000 for food and clothing and 2,500 for the studies of his children.  He requested a loan to visit the market and buy larger quantities of zips and threads. He will also buy a jockey machine as the machine he is currently using is not in a good state. He will be able to sew clothes more efficiently and he hopes that his income will grow. He committed to pay back the loan in 15 installments.

What do you think?

Best Rosemary

Edited By rosemary Rosenfeld on 07/06/2014 13:20:19

Fiona07/06/2014 19:05:11
3107 forum posts
463 photos

Fine by us!

Katy09/06/2014 10:35:38
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Thanks Rosemary, I think if we have enough funds and you spot someone suitable, just go for it! It is hard to choose between two possibles, but I certainly trust your instincts and I'm just glad we can help anyone really.

rosemary Rosenfeld09/06/2014 12:13:36
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I know what you mean Katy! We now have just about enough for another loan but I haven't been able to find anybody who "sort of" fulfills the criteria we set out today! Typical! I will keep checking and let you know when somebody suitable comes up!!

Thanks everyone!

Best Rosemary

rosemary Rosenfeld09/06/2014 13:30:37
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

THAT WAS QUICK!!!!!

We have just supported Maria!!

María Elena Gaona Narvaez is a seamstress from the small town of Catamayo in southern Ecuador. She is 29 and single. Señora María Elena used to work helping her mother selling items in the market and thereafter worked in the farmer’s markets while she studied for a vocational qualification in tailoring. After completing the course she opened her own business offering made to measure clothing as well as repairs and alterations. Señora María Elena works six days a week and is open from 10 am to 6 pm. Additionally, she also works as a part-time teacher for which she receives a regular wage and is studying at University some evenings. Señora María Elena requested a loan in order to purchase a new, better, sewing machine that will enable her to work more efficiently.

The account is now empty but hopefully we should have some repayments by the end of the month!

Best Rosemary

Kerry F11/06/2014 11:19:29
280 forum posts
46 photos
29 articles

Just donated to Maria also and accredited it to PP group, hope I did it right

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Janome
Sarik
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues