By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hello lovely people

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kay A22/02/2014 09:11:38
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

I just wanted to say "Hello" to everyone.

I'm new to the forum and new to patchwork & quilting, so I'll probably be asking for plenty of advice.

I got an old Singer sewing machine a couple of days ago. After cleaning off several decades of grime, I'm currently waiting (not very patiently) for the oil to reach all the nooks & crankys before I try her out. I'm very, very, very, very, very excited smiley

I've decided on my first quilt and I'm currently searching for fabrics. Someone told me that you shouldn't mix pure cotton & poly cotton, but I'm wondering why. Can anyone help?

Thanks xxxx

Claire Bear22/02/2014 10:25:24
1846 forum posts
411 photos

Hello There,

Welcome to the group. Always lovely to have another new member. I class myself as a newbie too and cannot answer your question as I have ever used cotton.

hope you enjoy our forum!

Claire :0)

Marian T22/02/2014 10:42:20
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles

Hi KayKay

Welcome to the forum. I hope you have fun with your new sewing machine.

When I first started quilting some 35 years ago, I only used polycotton as that's all I could afford. These days I use mostly 100% cotton but still may use polycotton now and then depending on the quilt or project.

In the past, I have used polycotton for backing for my grandchildren's quilts as I think it's durable but I haven't used a mix of both in the top of a quilt. That's just my choice and each quilter will have different opinions.

What I would say is not to get into what you 'should do and shouldn't do'. You'll find out that there is no such thing as 'The Quilt Police' on this Forum - just enjoy creating your quilts.

I look forward to seeing your creations when you get started.

Marian T face 23

Glenda F22/02/2014 11:36:22
1643 forum posts
218 photos

Hi KayKay

welcome to the forum sorry can not answer your question as only used cotton on the front of quilts .but have used poly cotton on the back of quilts

Glenda

rosemary Rosenfeld22/02/2014 13:23:53
5895 forum posts
1722 photos
13 articles

Hi Kaykay! I think it's because the poly cotton is probably stronger and the fabrics MIGHT wear differently!! Having said that..... try it and see!! As Marian said "the Quilt Police " don't belong here!!!!! There will be as many different answers as answers to any question! We ALL have our own favourite way of doing things!!

Best Rosemary

Mary Milner22/02/2014 13:40:59
4 forum posts
4 photos

I am a Newbie too!! My mum gave me her sewing machine to get me started,good luck,but what I have found is that most quilters have thier own method but they will all agree that you should just enjoy it.

Carol B22/02/2014 15:30:06
3003 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Hi KayKay,

welcome to the forum.

As others have said, fabrics are often personal choice and there are no hard and fast rules. Go for it and see what happens face 23. The only advice I could offer though, is to wash your fabrics first as cotton and polycotton sometimes have different shrink rates. If you leave washing them until after your project is finished you might get wrinkles where you don't want them.

Good luck

Carol B

Tessa22/02/2014 18:25:02
5766 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Hi Kay Kay.,.,..

I've been sewing for some 48 years and quilting for about 20 of those. My own personal choice these days is 100% cotton for any quilt top...mainly because of the 'fudging' ability. Cotton moves and if you need that little extra millimetre to get a seam to match you can pull or push cotton to fit. It's something you can't do with a poly cotton and that fabric has no stretch at all. Mixing the fabrics wouldn't be a good idea in my mind as you'd have two different types of shrinkage as well when the quilt is washed. Even though a lot of quilters will wash their fabrics before cutting there is still the possibility of shrinkage with the finished project.

Also, the backing fabric would be the same. Again, my personal use is cotton all over....cotton top, cotton wadding and cotton backing....but that's just me. I've just had a dear friend quilt a lap quilt for me and she used 2oz poly wadding and it looks fantasic. I normally use warm and natural.

As Marian mentioned, she uses poly cottons on the back of quilts as it's a bit cheaper....it is ok to do that...but you really will need to wash all your cottons ahead of time.

I never wash my fabrics ahead of time unless I know for sure I'm going to have a problem with a colour running, a thing that happens with batiks, red fabrics and purples. When a quilt is finished and then washed, it shrinks giving it an antiquey look which I love.

Anyway, welcome to the forum...as you can see there will always be an answer to a question for you....so stay in touch.

Mary Milner....welcome to you too. Newbies are what we need on this forum. It's always great to get involved.

Take care all.

Tessa

(The Crazy Canadian in Cumbria)

quilt and patch22/02/2014 21:21:58
3489 forum posts
636 photos

Welcome Kaykay and Mary. You will be so glad you logged onto this site too! You will get lots of help and advice and lots of ideas and tips too from your patchwork family.smiley

maria hewitt22/02/2014 21:29:19
988 forum posts
187 photos

hello, and welcome.

there are no quilt police here fortunately, as one of my projects to try later is a quilt from old pjamas, and they are all different sorts of fabrics!

I will iron on some thin vliene or something, to any that are overly stretchy though to make a bit more stable. Mind you it could be some time before I start, as a couple of legs wont go far!! ha ha.

Maria.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues