By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hand Quilting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jan L05/06/2013 15:04:30
6 forum posts

I have done a little bit of hand quilting on my very first patchwork quilt and I really loved it.

My next project will be a large quilt cover for our King-sized bed. Not to drape all over the side or right to the top: just to cover it.

A visit to a recent local patchwork and quilting exhibition has absolutely hooked me on hand quilting.

So I wondered if any of you experienced folk out there have some useful tips on hand quilting please?

I want to use Perle thread by Presencia (made in Valencia, Spain) and have seen what I want on the Cotton Patch website.

Do you have to use a particular size/thickness of needle to thread it through?

I know you don't separate the plies with Perle as you can do with ordinary embroidery thread.

Thank you for any advice you can pass on!

Caz05/06/2013 15:08:36
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Hi Jan,

I have just finished using that thread on my hexie quilt,, hand quilted. I used a normal embroidery needle..... not sure if thet was the correct thing to do, but it worked for me.

Caz

Katy06/06/2013 09:58:10
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I'm not great at quilting, hand or machine, but I do enjoy hand quilting. I like to use handquilting thread with a very sharp short needle best, but when I've done big stitch quilting with threads similar to perle, I'd just go for the sharpest needle that has the smallest eye that I can thread. Sashiko needles are good for that, but I'm sure you'll find one that is suitable wiithout having to buy some of those.

If you can use a thimble, (I can't), then I'd recommend using one. You can always tell when I've been hand quilting or sewing on binding, as the pad of my right hand middle finger is always a raggedy mess! It is healed up at the moment, so I'm putting off doing any for a while.

Fiona06/06/2013 14:58:03
3134 forum posts
486 photos

Chenille needles are good for perle thread as they have a big eye if you can't get sashiko ones. I love handquilting too - I currently have 3 BOM projects on the go, as well as my birthday quilt... I know I'm nuts but I can see the improvement from all my practise! Try "New Skin" on your finger Katy, from the chemist, that you paint on. I also hate an under thimble but masking will do in a pinch.

Francoise Vrabel07/06/2013 08:39:36
126 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Jan

I like using perle thread, particularly variegated, but you do need a bigger needle than the tiny quiling ones, also the thinner perle is best. You cant do such tiny stitches., but the effect is really nice

Francoise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues