March New Technique Challenge

Poyagi - Korean patchwork

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy03/03/2013 11:18:44
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I found this last year, and thought it looked really pretty. After doing a bit of research I realised that I'd seen some at FOQ a few years ago when Chunghie Lee had an exhibition, and it was gorgeous.

Poyagi (also known as Boyagi) is a double sided patchwork technique, with no wadding or backing or quilting, and every seam is doubled, a bit like a flat french seam. Pieces of poyagi are used as window dressings, wrapping cloths and table cloths, and are best made with fabric that is the same on both sides like batiks, but you don't have to use anything fancy, and lots of fabrics have a nice reverse side anyway. You can also use white or any plain fabric.

There are some links here for you to look at

Furoshiki tutorial

All about poyagi

Poyagi seam tutorial

Quilting daily also featured this technique last week,

Katy03/03/2013 11:22:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Katys Poyagi

Here's one I made yesterday with some lame fabric. I decided that I would hem the edges rather than bind it, as I wanted the seam effect to continue at the edges

Katy03/03/2013 11:27:28
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

It's quite hard to remember which is the right and which is the wrong side, but I'm not sure it really matters a lot. Some of my seams are on the wrong side! Also the large seam allowances make your patches quite a lot smaller than we're used to, so start off with bigger peices thatn you would usually

Irene B03/03/2013 12:51:01
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Your sample is lovely Katy. Interesting technique. Thank you for the links.

Irene x rose

Margaret S03/03/2013 13:06:50
4022 forum posts
756 photos

Looks good Katy. Lovely sample. I am sure that some years ago Kaffe Fasset made a door curtain in a similar manner using his Indian cottons. Would chiffon be too light?

I will see if I can manage to do a 'Run and Fell' seam on the machine. I have hurt my wrist so cannot hand sew much at present. It is very painful and I have a swelling at the base of my thumb. Doctor thinks I have sprained it somehow. Sad to say, I think I know how I have done it and it is quilt related! With so much archived on the web these days, I decided to down-size my huge stock of magazines. I have been flicking through the pages and deciding which ones to keep. It hurt at the time but I ignored it.

Margaret

Marlene Hutchinson03/03/2013 14:02:12
1234 forum posts
1650 photos

I like the look of this and will have a go as soon as Morgan goes home....he arrives tomorrow and l have him until Friday so maybe the week after....not sure what fabrics I will use for it....I do have plenty of choice...don't we all.

Cheerio,

Marlene face 23

June03/03/2013 15:58:59
335 forum posts
55 photos

Oh this looks very interesting, not sure I'll be able to do anything this month but definitely something I'm going to try at somepoint. Thank you for bringing such an interesting technique to us smiley

June x rose

Carol B03/03/2013 16:59:03
3003 forum posts
776 photos
2 articles

Oooh Katy,

I love your Poyagi example, it looks really effective up on the window with the light coming through. Definitely adding it to my 'must try' list.

Carol x

Sylvia03/03/2013 19:49:03
2181 forum posts
365 photos

Thanks Katy, have just really enjoyed looking at all the links. Definitely want to try it, just hope I have some appropriate fabrics here.

Love your example, looks like modern stained glass.

Katy05/03/2013 10:08:55
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

It is fun to do, it's not very hard, and quite quick, as there's only one layer

Margaret hope your injury is better, quilting magazine injuries are not be encouraged, you'll be suing us!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues