By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sizzix Big Shot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
TortoiseCrafts01/12/2012 08:58:04
75 forum posts
12 photos
16 articles

Hi, I have been looking at both the Sizzix and the Accuquilt, must admit i think if i buy one then i would go for the Sizzix - on the grounds of price. I am still thinking about it as I am not sure how much I would really use it and so would it be worth the money that i would pay out? A few quilting friends have said that if i get one then i can cut things for them!!!!

So, i will carry on thinking about it and seeing what other people think about it and whether it really is worth getting.

Hubby already got Christmas present but (if i decide i want one) my birthday is the beginnning of February and i can never think of things i want as had to give ideas for Christmas only a month or so before.

Sarah.

Kerry F03/12/2012 12:20:49
280 forum posts
46 photos
29 articles

In all honesty I don't think I would have bought a Big Shot if I didn't already have one from when I was interested in making embellishments and packaging from card and paper. However I have got the one 2.5" square die for it which I use to work my way through my overflowing scraps drawer and I cut through up to 10 layers at a time so it's nice and quick. I'm making a basket full of scrappy squares to sew into a "scrap vomit" quilt at some point.

I do like the look of the shaped ones like the tumbers and dresden blades but not sure how much use I would get out of them. I don't really see the point of the strip dies, surely it's easier and less wasteful to get your rotary cutter and ruler out?

The applique ones are nice and really would simplify things, plus if you were only using it for one quilt there's a good second hand market for them on eBay and it might be nice to swap dies with other crafters once you've got tired of the design, there are so many out there there's bound to be someone who has something you fancy in return.

Margaret S03/12/2012 15:58:06
4010 forum posts
752 photos

I bought the Sizzix because of the special offer price - £55. I think that sometimes we forget to factor in the cost of our time. My apple cores took less than 2 hours from prep. the fabric to cut out and I wasn't hurrying. It would have taken me about 2 days to cut them out by hand and my hands would have been so sore. So I ended up with a lot of extra quilting time! Must admit that I can't see the point of cutting strips. For me it will be the shapes, including triangles and some applique.

Love the sound of a 'scrap vomit' quilt. Boy have I got some fabrics that would make you do that!

Margaret

Teresa 196003/12/2012 23:14:18
42 forum posts
8 photos

One of the reasons I got an Accucut Go! was to cut strips. I got tired of rulers slipping, fabric moving and my unerring ability to misread the ruler and cut the wrong size strip. I have the 1.5"'2.5" and 6.5" strip cutters and have never had a wonky strip while using them. Used the 1.5" and 6.5" to cut the borders for a sampler quilt recently. All accurately cut in next to no time. For me it's one of the best reasons to have a die cutter.

TortoiseCrafts04/12/2012 13:16:32
75 forum posts
12 photos
16 articles

Hi, If I am going to buy a Sizzix it would be for the applique shapes and the 'odd' ones like the apple core and drunkards path ones, which take time to cut accurately. I personnally have no problems with cutting strips - Truegrips are brilliant - little rubber pads that go on your ruler and really stop them slipping and they really work!!!

I know we are meant to use the board for the measuring with the rotary cutter, but i use the ruler and I teach a couple of ladies with dyslexia (terribly hard word to spell!) and we put quilters masking tape on their rulers with the width of the strip they are going to have to cut, so that they can 'see' immediately the width.

Sarah.

Katy09/12/2012 09:48:59
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

That's a good idea about the masking tape, that would be helpful when cutting lots of jelly roll strips. I don't use the lines on my cutting mat much at all, I'll line my fabric up with a random mat line for a straight edge on a fold, but then I concentrate on my ruler for all the cutting

Fiona09/12/2012 19:27:17
3131 forum posts
482 photos

That's what I get my ladies to do, Katy - I think you should use either the marks on the ruler OR the mat and not muddle them up as there can be a difference, no matter how accurate you are.

There is a special florourescent tape for marking on rulers but masking tape works fine for me and is cheaper too!

Very excited, though - DH has bought me a cuttlebug for xmas. Don't know which dies he has ordered yet but he spoke to our local craft shop and she is ordereing them for him and will match whatever deal he found on the net, so good for him and good for local business too!

Katy10/12/2012 15:36:23
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

That's a good present Fiona, you've trained him well!

Margaret S18/12/2012 11:11:24
4010 forum posts
752 photos

Throw using Tumbler Die

Using the Tumbler die, a quickly made present for DH. It is a throw to cover the seat and arms of a chair that I have bought him. It is more russet and green than shows in photo. I have used Civil War fabrics from a Secret Santa from some years ago, the repro fabrics that Katy gave me as a UFO prize and some old Thimbleberries Layer Cake plus a small amount of other fabric.. It was so quick to make. About 60" x 24"

Margaret

mandy18/12/2012 11:42:58
1068 forum posts
153 photos

Margaret that's lovely,looks like you're enjoying your sizzix.

Mandy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues