By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Row by Row Swap

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Row by Row Swap with Alison

Row by Row Swap with Alison

Find out your swap partners and see the all the photos from the Row by Row Swap here

Alison18/09/2012 11:07:20
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

If anyone would like to join a row by row swap this is the place to sign up.

Each month everyone will make a 36" (finished size) row of blocks in the colours requested by the person receiving it, so everyone will make and receive a row for their quilt every month. As usual it’s up to you how you join the rows together, but we'll all want to see a photo of the finished quilt.

I’ll set a theme (squares and rectangles) /technique (appliqué/style of block (stars) for each month and the width of the row to be made. The length, of course, will always be the same at 36” finished size.

How long the swap lasts will depend on how many sign up, but I think a minimum of 5 rows is needed, but 7 would be better.

I’ll post a list of swap partners for each row, as happens for the postcard swaps.

What I’ll need from you is the colour/s you would like in your quilt including a background colour. If you have and ideas for themes/techniques/ block styles please let me know, otherwise you will have to put up with my ideas, although I do promise there will be no 1/4” hexagons!

If you’re interested sign up here and let’s make beautiful quilts together!!

Alison.

Katy18/09/2012 14:34:43
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Sounds brilliant Alison! I will have to see if I can make room for this in my schedule though, I am a bit tight for spare time. This sounds like fantastic fun, and a great way to make a new quilt

rosemary Rosenfeld18/09/2012 15:31:12
5895 forum posts
1722 photos
13 articles

Hi Alison, I am still interested but the rules have changed a bit since Jan first mentioned it. "She" said we each choose a colour for our own quilt and then then decide what sort of strip we will make. X has chosen red and Y has chosen blue. I have decided to make stars so I make red stars to send to X and blue stars to send to Y. I'm not fussed either way but would like to be sure before I make a defini!te commitment!

Best

Rosemary

Alison18/09/2012 15:51:40
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Katy, we don't have to make a row each month if it's too much, it could be every 2 months.

Rosemary, I know that Jan had different rules for her row swap, but I thought that this way we could have different width rows which would make a more interesting quilt. It does make more work for me as I have to come up with the ideas for the rows but I think it'll be worth it in the end.

Alison

Katy18/09/2012 15:53:05
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Alison is in charge, so it is up to her, but I think if you suggest a row style, then you have a good chance of getting it anyway. We all know how brilliant Alison is at designing, so personally I think one of the nicest things about this swap is ending up up with a row by row made by our friends but designed by Alison! This way, you know you will end up with a beautiful quilt and that the rows will all work together well. You still get to choose the colour though, so I think you get the best of both worlds!

Katy18/09/2012 15:59:38
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

ooh, crossed posts Alison! Bi-monthly sounds good to me, but might be a bit slow for everyone else

Alison18/09/2012 16:03:58
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Hi Katy,

I'm not going to be designing all the rows, just giving a theme and size for each row. The point of doing it this way is that everyone will get a different looking quilt as there can be several ways of following a theme. If I designed each row that would defeat the object.

Alison.

Katy18/09/2012 16:05:07
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Ah, I see, fair enough, it still sounds lovely!

Margaret S18/09/2012 17:16:04
4027 forum posts
759 photos

Hi Alison

I have finished both of my Red Strip Swap quilts. (Yes, I really have.) Now I am ready for a new challenge. I like the sound of this one. I made a Seminole strippy many years ago and the different widths do add interest. Please count me in.

Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld18/09/2012 17:27:12
5895 forum posts
1722 photos
13 articles

That sounds fine by me! One a month should be OK if everybody else is happy with that! I'm in!

Rosemary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues