By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bargain books

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy14/09/2012 13:51:20
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I went into Save the Children this morning to raid the button basket for owl eyes, and look what else I found for the bargain price of £1.80. I don't really need any of these, but I had to liberate them, so if anyone is desperate for a copy of one of these three, I will pass them on.

quiltbooks 001.jpg

quiltbooks 002.jpg

quiltbooks 003.jpg

Caz14/09/2012 15:08:44
2545 forum posts
273 photos

£1.80 for all 3????? Bargain!!!

Caz

Katy15/09/2012 08:26:10
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

It was! I've decided to keep the Beth Gutcheon book, I read it last night, and I wish I could republish the first chapter for you all to read. It is so interesting, and amazing how much sense it still makes today, she talks about the revival of craft in response to have-it-all culture, and although it was all true in 1973, it is so applicable to 2012 too. Jan told me it is worth quite a bit of money too, but I don't want to sell it. It's very old fashioned, and I don't think I would use it as a reference as such, but it is lovely to read.

Myra of Cheadle15/09/2012 09:16:50
589 forum posts
128 photos

Dear Katy,

Since we are moving we are trying (!?) to reduce items - so I'll let you keep them but as Caz says - 3 books for £1.80 is an absolute bargain! I called in the Sue Ryder shop in Gatley last week - I'll have to call in again - although the besst book recently has been Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens donated in Alderley Edge - did anyone see the item on North West Today this week?

My first patchwork book was £4.95 from WHSmi*th in Stockport - and I still like it - simple instructions but a very comprehensive coverage of many, many techniques. My current working title for the imaginary book I'd write is "Pauper's Patchwork" - not using rotary cutters and any fancy "gadgets" but back to how the British, American and other communities used old clothes or feed sacks to make warm quilts and new clothes with just needles, pins, fabric and threads. Sewing machines are quite old - so I could use one occasionally for long straight seams! Perhaps we could draft chapter titls between PP Forum members!

TTFN Myra

Fiona15/09/2012 18:49:19
3115 forum posts
465 photos

I love the Beth Gutcheon book too! When we had a local shop, an old chap would call in occasionally and give the owner odd things that had belonged to his late wife. This book was one and I was lucky enough to borrow it for a read.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Sarik
SewAndSo
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues