By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Is this a really bad idea?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy11/08/2012 21:53:21
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

As some of you know, tis my 40th birthday in a couple of weeks, and I would really like to buy a new machine for myself. I want a Bernina, but they are so expensive, and I am reluctant to get one with less features than I already have, but that means spending more money than I have. I really don't like my on loan machine, and I've 'given' my machine to a friend in need, so I'd love a better one. My top max budget was £1000 (which is more than twice what mine cost). But, I can't find anything suitable for that, so I've persuaded myself that if it costs more, I will have to pay myself back over the next six months somehow. I had talked myself into the idea of buying an Aurora 440 ex demo (if I can find one at FOQ), they were about £1200 last year. However today, I have foolishily searched online to see what I could get with the same amount of money, and I've found two bargains on ebay, but I am frightened to buy one either before FOQ, or from ebay, second hand, or not from a dealer. Both are very cheap, one is dodgier than the other, but more of a bargain. Please will you have a look and persuade me out of it!

Aurora 440 (with BSR) ex-demo and 2nd hand £1050

new Artista 630 (with embroidery module) £1500

Both auctions finish tomorrowish. I don't expect I will go through with either, but if I can't get advice from you lot, I don't know who I else I could ask! Thanks everyone, I would really appreciate you having a look for me.

Edited By Katy on 11/08/2012 22:47:45

pamela jeffrey11/08/2012 22:07:31
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Hello

have you looked at these machines in any shops. Or had a play with them.

Not sure I would part with that amount of money with out seeing the machine first.

You will if you have the time to look when you go to Birmingham show.

sure others will give there advice.

Bye Pam

Katy11/08/2012 22:12:26
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hi Pam, yes I looked at both of them at FOQ last year, but the 630 was so far out of my price range, I didn't really look very hard. The 440 was lovely though, I didn't dare look at anything more expensive than that

Caz11/08/2012 22:20:34
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Tempting Katy,,,

Number 1 - do you really need an embroidery machine??? and number 2 - wouldn't it be better if you could test drive one first???

Besides,, there may be some great deals at the FoQ,,, haggle,, and tell them you'll do a review of the machine on the forum and the mag.

Caz x

Katy11/08/2012 22:28:26
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

No I don't need an embroidery machine, I've just always wanted one, and that model should cost £3000 with the embroidery module. I am just being greedy. I think I will stick to the plan and look at FOQ. I am rubbish at haggling though. The Bernina man last year thought I was a time waster and wasn't very polite, I didn't tell him anything about PP! The best deal last year was £1200 with no BSR, which is another £300. I've not used one, so I don't know how good they really are

Katy11/08/2012 22:34:06
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

It would be much better to test drive one first, but I am already feeling guilty about the expense, we need a bedroom carpet (haven't had one for three years, and it is very drafty!) and the house needs re-wiring, etc etc. So the idea of spending less money is very appealing. I imagine I will chicken out of the whole thing, but those ebay prices were too good to be true, so I went into panic mode!

quilt and patch11/08/2012 22:37:59
3489 forum posts
636 photos

I agree with previous posts, you do need to see it and try it really Katy,as it is such a lot of money. I bought a very expensive embroidery machine a few years ago and really have not used it to it's full potential. I am not that happy with it and am sure I was sort of talked into it by a very clever salesman!

It was at a time when I was feeling low and not having any annual holidays or spent money on newish cars I felt I deserved it!

As tempting as these bargains may seem you haven't got the garantee you get from a dealer.

Also with your birthday comeing up,ask for money from everyone then you may be able to get the one you want!wink

Margaret S11/08/2012 22:39:06
4019 forum posts
755 photos

I wouldn't touch the 440QE. No idea how old it is or how it has been treated or why being sold. Anything electronic has a short shelf life and the price drops rapidly, and you know what computers can be like, so seems overpriced to me. You would probably get a better second-hand deal at a dealers and with some sort of guarantee as well.

The Artista will cost at least another £375 for the BSR addition which you will probably need if you plan to FMQ. Seems on the face of it a good deal, but will probably be nearer £2k with all the bits you need. Don't know anything about the company.

Don't do a Jan and buy in haste and repent at leisure. Think about it and look around at FOQ but you are unlikely to find what you would really like for £1k.

Please bin the idea of that ebay 440! I have bought machines 'blind' from a dealer in Wales for that sort of money, but I trust the company.

Margaret

Margaret S11/08/2012 22:44:39
4019 forum posts
755 photos

Please don't feel guilty Katy because you want something that is just for you. Which will give you more pleasure a new carpet or a new machine? You could always make a quilted carpet! You may find a great deal at FOQ although I have heard it is very hard to get a discount on a Bernina.

Margaret

Katy11/08/2012 22:45:53
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Thanks Margaret, I think you are right, I don't think they can be in good condition at that price. Maybe I'll just have to wait for my 50th!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues