WHAT WADDING DO YOU PREFER

..or batting if you prefer!!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Janet M20/07/2012 00:32:01
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles

So many different waddings on the market now, which is your favourite???

How much do you purchase at any one time, is it just for what you are making at the moment in time, or do you buy in bulk???

How do you store your wadding???

vamp

pamela jeffrey20/07/2012 04:34:04
3192 forum posts
114 photos

Hello

I use soft and bright wadding, and buy about 3 metres at a time. Then I have some to use at any time.

I keep my wadding under the bed, then get it out well before using.

Bye Pam

Marlene Hutchinson20/07/2012 07:32:41
1234 forum posts
1650 photos

I only use 2 oz polyester for my quilts...customers used this or cotton mostly,sometimes 80/20...I buy 50 mtr rolls and store it in my studio....always handy...use the left overs for stuffing toys. ...nothing wasted.

Cheerio,

Marlene face 23

Marian T20/07/2012 07:34:32
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles

Well as you know Jan, I get mine from the market as very cheap, 2oz weight polyester and very durable; and I buy 10 yards at a time. I save all the offcuts, however small for postcard or wallhangings and stuffing of little animals for my young GD. With larger offcuts, I join these and use in small quilts....face 23

M xxx

Edited By Marian T on 20/07/2012 07:34:54

TortoiseCrafts20/07/2012 08:23:45
75 forum posts
12 photos
16 articles

Hi,

I use Hobbs, both the polyester and the 80/20 cotton, I use this as it is the brand that my wholesaler carries and i have always been happy with it.

I buy King size pack and store them in the loft - along with a lot of other stuff!!! I keep one downstairs for use, nothing is wasted. With the cotton that is left over from quilts goes to postcards and inchies. And with the polyesterthe left overs go into pincushions and soft toys.

20 years ago or so, when wadding wasn't as easy to get hold off I managed to buy a huge roll of 4oz at very good price, it was vacuum packed. My husband and I squashed it into the loft, then we open it up and it expanded and expanded!!!. The only way it came out again was in pieces and it took a long while to use!!!

Tortoise.

Maggi B20/07/2012 11:19:40
770 forum posts
97 photos

I use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 and usually buy about 3m at a time. Also use their wool which is so beautiful to quilt by hand and machine but a bit expensive for every day quilts.

Maggi

TortoiseCrafts20/07/2012 15:59:20
75 forum posts
12 photos
16 articles

Hi.

Been thinking about buying the wadding/batting selection packs that Cotton Patch do, to try different ones as I do sometimes wonder whether others are better than the Hobbs. After all I have been using it for ten years or so and different and new things come out.

Never tried the wool, just from the point that wool in knitting yarn always makes me itch so avoid wool!!!

Tortoise.

Maggi B20/07/2012 16:33:19
770 forum posts
97 photos

Hi Tortoise

I got the Cotton Patch selection packs (natural and synthetic) as I had to evaluate for my C&G course. They are worth the money if you are looking for a wadding that suits what you are doing. At 17" square they are big enough to cut in half and test them out for hand and machine quilting.

I can't wear wool next to my skin as it makes me it itch as well but I had no problem with the wool wadding. Mind you I don't have any problems with knitting or spinning wool either.

Maggi

Glenda F20/07/2012 16:50:24
1643 forum posts
218 photos

I use 80/20 for my quilts by this by the 3meters . Then insure light for my table runnersby this by the 3 meters (think that's what it's called ) some times I use polyester for bags this I normaly by just a meter at a time unless i am making more than one bag at a time no bits go to wast either sew them together for cushions or even quilts if large bits are left ,have also used them for stuffing .

Store my wadding in a cupboard in my DD bedroom 

Glenda

Edited By Glenda F on 20/07/2012 16:52:04

MollyEliza20/07/2012 23:21:59
21 forum posts
3 photos

I mostly make quilts for children and I sometimes use a fleece backing (I know it is not technically a quilt) but most times I use polyester wadding because it is easily washed and dried. Many of my purist friends feel that only cotton should be used but I just ignore them smiley.

Anyway about 8 years ago I bought I don't know how many metres of "Soft & Bright" and I have been using it ever since though I am almost at the end of my stock. I really like it because it is needled so it doesn't separate and doesn't come away from the fabric when it is machine quilted.

I used to keep it in a cupboard in my sewing room but there is so little left that it is now in a basket.

I occasionally use Hobbs 80/20 and the stuff I have just now is fusible and I like it because it attaches to the fabric and makes quilting easier.

I keep all my bits of pieces of scraps and join them up to minimise waste.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Janome
Sewing Quarter
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues