By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Welcome to PP, come and say hello

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy23/05/2012 09:23:58
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

If you've only just found us, come and introduce yourself here, you are assured of a warm welcome, and we'll point you in the direction of whatever you're looking for.

Have fun!

Edie02/07/2012 17:10:14
7 forum posts

Hi, I am new to patchwork and quilting but have been collecting a stash of fabric to start a quilt sometime. Just been hesitant to start as I don't want to mess it all up. I was thinking of starting a pinwheel quilt as a first, is this an easy enough quilt as a starter quilt?

Also my sewing machine is mainly for sewing clothes and a very basic machine, should I get a more advanced machine, so I can use it for free hand maching embroidery etc. any advise would be welcome. I do sew quite alot, but mainly ladies clothes and large items so my machine is not that equiped for finer work.

Should I wash all my FQs or not? many questions from this newbie! blush

Thanks!

rosemary Rosenfeld02/07/2012 18:19:51
5636 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Welcome Edie, you will get lots of help and advice here, just ask! I don't think you need to buy a new machine at the moment. However, don't let me put you off if you fancy a new one!!! As long as your machine sews well and can straight stitch....... you don't NEED anything else initially.

A pin wheel is an easy block, there are lots of other ideas in loads of mags/books, it really depends on what you like! Have you seen the new "Sew a sampler" quilt in July's PP mag. It is by Davina Thomas and starts verry simply and also shows you how to do lots of different techniques as you go along. Davina suggest using lots of different fabrics, you could use as many or few as you like! That is one of the great things about this hobby, there are NOT any rules! If it works for you great! it may not work for me!

To wash or NOT to wash? That is the question! Some people do and then again, some people don't!

Welcome again, and don't be afraid to ask!

Best wishes

Rosemary

Caz02/07/2012 18:48:35
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Hi Edie, welcome to the forum.

Going along with what Rosemary has said,, to wash or not is up to you,, but I always wash reds/burgundys.

Jan (BattyJan) only uses a Bernina domestic machine for all her work,, including FMQ on large quilts.

Caz

quilt and patch02/07/2012 19:54:21
3489 forum posts
636 photos

Wecome Edie, I think Rosemary and caz have said most. Like caz I only wash the darker colours.

And if you ever hear a rumour that there are' Quilt Police 'please do not believe it they are a figment of someones imagination and not real!! Haha

You will make lots of lovely new friends and learn alot being part of this group of girlswink Love Liz x

Sylvia02/07/2012 22:00:22
2083 forum posts
342 photos

Glad you found us Edie. Lots of us started from a home dressmaking background so you are off with a running start. My advice would be not to try anything too daunting for your first effort. I made a cushion first and then a lap quilt both simple designs.

Irene B02/07/2012 23:26:35
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Hi Edie, welcome to the Forum. You'll get lots of help here and make many frinds.

Rosemary, Caz, Liz and Sylvia have said it all. I wash all my fabrics. A small sample quilt was my first quilt.

Irene rose

Janet M02/07/2012 23:54:07
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles

Hi Edie,

welcome to the forum, take your time to have a good look round at all that is going on here, believe me there is a LOT going on one way or another.

I would start as Sylvia says by starting with something small and simple to get you in the swing of things. Although the idea of having a go at Davina's quilt in the latest magazine is a great idea. Lots of different things to learn on that.

There are lots of swaps going on, sadly you are a little late for joining in with some of them but the Postcards, Bookmarks and ATC's are always open to anyone to join in when they feel up to it. Do look at the albums for these little gems they are very easy to do, small enough to try new methods on and great to collect...BUT...be warned they are addictive.

So there we are, I have probably not said it all but I feel sure when Tessa gets back on here she will giving you lots of advice, she is the resident dressmaker and fabulous patchworker, she is Canadian but lives here now. We don't want her to go back.....EVER.

Main thing about this forum is...ENJOY it.

vampjan..................yep that's battyjan..............haha don't ask.

Katy03/07/2012 20:15:51
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hope you have lots of fun whatever you decide to make Edie, and any questions, please just ask! Welcome to PP

Edie03/07/2012 23:06:12
7 forum posts
Hi Ladies, thanks so much for the friendly welcome and all the advice!!! )
I have and idea for a table runner and maybe that should be my starting point, but I will look at the July issue for that pattern too. Thanks again.
mmm sounds like a good idea to wash darker colours, to check if they run. another silly question: I take it you all hand wash not machine wash? or its going to fray terribly.
Thanks again and will keep in touch and let you know how I am getting along with my projects.
Thanks again xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Sarik
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues