By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Foundation Piecing Help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
quilt and patch23/05/2012 07:18:17
3489 forum posts
636 photos

Sylvia, 'stripping' is taking all your clothes offf! sorry couldn't resist that! hahawink

Winnie the B.O.L.B23/05/2012 07:27:50
3350 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

You took the words right out of my mouth, Sylvia. Anything but useless info from you, Jan - it sounds like a brilliant idea. As I am now following your (Jan's) "instructions and changing my patchworking needles very regularly, I have loads of "blunt" needles to do it with!! So I now have another new technique to get involved in when I get back on my feet, so to speak..

Also, Sylvia - really do have a look at Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville web site - she has great ideas for "organising" and using your scraps, no matter what their size - and, if you look, you'll see that I mean the comment about "size" as literally ANY size down to tiny, tiny ones. You'll also find her ideas for using what she calls "strips and strings - she really is a very interesting lady and her ideas are achievable by all of us whilst being anything but boring. It was Jan who put me on to her - so a BIG thank you to that other venerable lady!!!

Margaret xx

Winnie the B.O.L.B23/05/2012 07:31:37
3350 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Liz - it's a good job I'm not taking your definition of stripping as the one to follow - there would be too serious many heart attacks around if I did - and that is NOT meant to be a personal compliment, I assure you!!!

Margaret xx

Edited By Winnie the B.O.L.B on 23/05/2012 07:32:13

JillR23/05/2012 08:25:40
935 forum posts
119 photos

She also has a video for deboning shirts. I have used the site a lot.

Francoise Vrabel23/05/2012 09:14:22
126 forum posts
22 photos

Hi

I use greasproof paper for foundation piecing: cheap, comes on a roll, see through so you can trace patterns, easy to remove. This is prabably the same thing as deli paper. Also use a slighly smaller stitch than usual.

Francoise

Winnie the B.O.L.B23/05/2012 09:44:05
3350 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Hi Francoise - many thanks for that - think your idea is excellent and you are very probably right about that being the English language version of "deli paper" - will give that a try as well. Will just have to find the French translation of "greaseproof paper" although I'm sure I can work it out - or ask my neighbour!!

Cheers Margaret xx

Caz23/05/2012 11:45:15
2545 forum posts
273 photos

When I do this (hardly ever), I use thin typing copy paper. Remember the stuff the typist used to use under the carbon paper when typing out more than one copy. I think I got a pack from Rymans.

Caz

Katy24/05/2012 14:34:51
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Posted by Marian Croose on 22/05/2012 23:30:46:

I have read that unprinted newspaper is very good to use for foundation piecing - its the sort you get your fish and chips wrapped in - but I haven't tried it. You could cut it up into A4 sheets and print straight onto it. Is this what is meant by deli paper ?

This is a very good idea Marian, not sure if our chippy would lend me some though?

Winnie the B.O.L.B24/05/2012 21:40:42
3350 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Caz - thanks for that suggestion as well. I think I'll do some experimenting and try to find the one that works best for me.

Marian - and Katy - as I don't have a local chippy here in the French countryside, I may just have to give that one a miss!!! Just joking, I could actually try to ask someone at the local newspaper??

Cheers Margaret xx

Edited By Winnie the B.O.L.B on 24/05/2012 21:42:20

Chris H25/05/2012 06:49:57
173 forum posts
41 photos

I use the cheapest printer paper going and I also reduce my stitch length down to 1 and this makes it really easy to get the paper out afterwards.

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues