By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Foundation Piecing Help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Winnie the B.O.L.B22/05/2012 21:42:02
3348 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Hi Folks - I'm looking for advice/recommendations from any of you who do foundation piecing as to what you use as your "foundation"? I'm talking mainly about removable paper foundations rather than fabric ones in this instance.

I would like ones which are easy to tear out, easy to trace designs onto etc AND not too expensive. I saw on a web site from an American quilter called Bonnie Hunter(?) that she uses what she calls "deli paper" - bought on a roll in her American Costco shop. Do you know what the equivalent would be over here?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Love Margaret xx

quilt and patch22/05/2012 21:53:18
3489 forum posts
636 photos

Is that not the same as Freezer paper?

Liz x

Winnie the B.O.L.B22/05/2012 21:57:46
3348 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Hi Liz - I wondered about that but wasn't sure. Is freezer paper what you use?

Love Margaret xx

Irene B22/05/2012 22:23:16
4433 forum posts
405 photos

Hi Margaret,

I use ordinary photocopy paper, the sort you use with your printer. The very thin one, 80gsm.

Irene x rose

Di T22/05/2012 22:27:44
1141 forum posts
31 photos

The thin photocopier paper is best, The freezer paper would be too thick and expensive.

Di

JillR22/05/2012 22:33:59
935 forum posts
119 photos

Thin photo copier paper sounds good. I was originally shown with freezer paper, but often use stich and tear now, but is more expensive. I like to have a paper you can see through as it helps to line up etc.

I didn't like the freezer paper for it.

Winnie the B.O.L.B22/05/2012 23:03:56
3348 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Irene, Di and Jill - thank you all for your advice - i'll have a look for the thin copy paper when I go into the "city" on Friday and let you know how it goes when I get back to my machine - not too long in the future, I hope!!! I wonder what the American quilter was actually talking about?? She was very enthusiastic about it. If anyone feels like it, you can find her on QUILTVILLE QUIPS etc

Love Margaret xx

Edited By Winnie the B.O.L.B on 22/05/2012 23:06:46

Marian C22/05/2012 23:30:46
59 forum posts
24 photos

I have read that unprinted newspaper is very good to use for foundation piecing - its the sort you get your fish and chips wrapped in - but I haven't tried it. You could cut it up into A4 sheets and print straight onto it. Is this what is meant by deli paper ?

Janet M22/05/2012 23:37:28
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles

You are talking of Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville, she is pretty amazing and has lots of free patterns on her site for all to share. yes

She is where I got the idea of 'stripping' all my odd bits of fabrics. I have tons of the things now due to Bonnie.

Also do you know the tricjk of copying the patterns???enlightened

Don't go tracing them all, stack a pile of papers together put the printed one on the top, remove the thread from the top and bobbin of your machine, then 'sew' on all the lines and you have your copies all done for you, the holes also make it easier to remove when finished. all you have to do is put the numbers on. but I guess you could FMQ them on if you wished...

I am full of useless info like this. nerd

jan

PS keep all your old needles for this purpose cos the paper will blunt them anyway. face 23

Sylvia23/05/2012 06:56:40
2177 forum posts
364 photos

Thanks for that not at all useless info Jan. Haven't actually done any paper piecing for ages but if I do I will try to remember that tip.

Is "stripping" just cutting everything into strips for future use?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues