By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Favourite Tips and Hints

Posts from anyone who has a favourite - or two - tip or hint which has been a huge help to them with their patchwork

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chloe W26/01/2012 21:48:04
211 forum posts
50 photos
Hi Ladies,

I agree with the hints and tips so far - my 1/4" foot is a life saver as I can't sew in a straight line to save my life.

I also keep a roll of masking tape to hand if I'm cutting lots of squares (or HSTs) of the same size. I put the tape on my ruler along the square lines and then merrily get cutting. It means I don't keep having to check the square lines each time and I won't cut the wrong size accidentally. I also try and use it when I'm layering up quilts to keep the background fabric and wadding in place.

I also agree about this forum being great. I've tried patchwork that I wouldn't have done otherwise and taking part in the challenges is something I never thought I'd do because I didn't think my quilts would be good enough. But the ladies here give me the confidence to have a go. All I wish now was that I had more time to do more!

Chloe.
Winnie the B.O.L.B26/01/2012 22:12:38
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
Hi Tessa,

I'm over the Channel in South West France - in the Dordogne region - about 100 miles inland in a straight line from Bordeaux. I'm originally from Edinburgh but have lived over here for about 16 years - apart from a short spell back in Edinburgh - came back over in March last year.

I haven't actually got to bed early - yet!! Forgot I had a washing to put in overnight -electricity over here is pretty expensive so off peak is a good idea - doesn't stop me ironing my patchwork though!!
Cheers
Margaret
Tessa26/01/2012 22:20:15
5766 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Margaret,

I'm in Penrith, just south of Carlisle....I had a friend move from town down to Montignac Le Coq....not sure where that would be from you.

I'm originally from Canada and have lived in England from 2004...was here in the early 70's for 4 years and decided to come back to live. My dad's a Londoner.

One more quilt block to finish this evening, then it's bed. Take care.

Tessa x
Juliet26/01/2012 22:56:58
2101 forum posts
162 photos
I agree with all the tips, especially the little piece of fabric to start annd finish seams, before i learnt that from a lady at Malvern I used to get screwed up beginnings and tangled thread in the bobbin !! Also freezer paper is a must for me with applique.

Juliet
rosemary Rosenfeld27/01/2012 08:38:36
5940 forum posts
1744 photos
13 articles
Somebody gave me a pair of scissors on a ribbon, IF you put it round your neck , you always know where thet are!
Rosemary
Margaret S27/01/2012 09:07:47
4045 forum posts
766 photos
I agree with Tessa on the HSTs. I always cut out to the inch not 7/8" and then cut down to size if necessary. Also the square ruler with the 45 degree marked from corner to corner is a god send.

My tips -
Always get the shop to roll pelmet Vilene and Bondaweb and store it at home on a cardboard tube to stop creasing. To avoid Bondaweb parting from the paper backing, keep it fresh by never buying too much at a time.

Remember to clean around the bobbin case and feed dogs regularly, particularly if you are using a walking foot. It is amazing how quickly lint can bung up the machine and give missed or badly formed stitches. Also, if your machine needle is making a popping sound when stitching, it is probably blunt.

Margaret
Winnie the B.O.L.B27/01/2012 09:14:11
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
I've got a pair of these scissors on a ribbon - now where was it I put them!!?????

Freezer paper for appliqué sounds excellent.

One more tip from me - if you find that one of your pieces is slightly longer than the other when you come to seam them together, (and you don't have a suitable walking foot) always try to put the longer piece underneath . A machine foot will always have a slight tendency to push the upper fabric fractionally ahead and the teeth hold the underneath layer back - so when you put the longer piece underneath you tend to be able to "take up " the difference without having to "stretch" the seams to make them meet. Does that explanation make sense??
Margaret
Winnie the B.O.L.B27/01/2012 09:23:49
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
Hi Tessa,

Montignac Le Coq is about an hour or so north of here - it's in the Charente department near the town of Angouléme. A little bit colder up there than down here but still much warmer than Edinburgh and Penrith!!!

Going to try to sew a bit today but have a sore throat that feels like swallowing razor blades - does anyone actually know what swallowing razors blades feels like???? -so not sure how much I'll feel like doing!
Margaret
Tessa27/01/2012 11:13:51
5766 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Morning Margaret, hope your throat feels better soon....just sit relax and sew......

Tessa
Janet M28/01/2012 00:34:32
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
I think my tip for the day would have to be....oops make that TIPS. hahaha

IF there are Rules....
read them,
then read them again.
Inwardly digest, and follow them.
They are there for a reason!!!

If there are suggestions....
discuss them before going ahead with anything.

When you see instructions - as opposed to RULES...
read them through twice before cutting your precious and now
very expensive fabrics. It's true what they say,
READ TWICE - I say again...
READ TWICE
CUT ONCE.

I know someone is going to come back and say Rules are meant to be broken.
NOT
when you are entering a Patchwork Show girls.
Trust me on this one.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners