By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Favourite Tips and Hints

Posts from anyone who has a favourite - or two - tip or hint which has been a huge help to them with their patchwork

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mal-A26/01/2012 17:20:28
1210 forum posts
168 photos
Hi Margaret

I have a portable ironing board and I use it all the time a folded Omnigrid mat (rough size 18 x 13 inches) - great for blocks, applique and ironing fabric before cutting. It has an ironing board on one side and a cutting mat on the other - extremely handy.

Noticed you have a Bernina Artista - I have too the 170 old model - but love it .

Tell you another little handy gaget I bought from Cotton Patch At a show last year - its a handle with a wooden wheel on the end - the wheel is thicker in the middle than the 2 outsides and it is a pressing tool - I use it on blocks to press seams down and with the outsides being thinner (if you can understand me) it leaves no marks on the seam 1/4 inch just on the stitching line itself (sorry not very good at explaining this) - saves having to iron ever seam.

Mal
quilt and patch26/01/2012 18:27:35
3494 forum posts
636 photos
I have a little book of tips and one very good one is when your rotary cutting blade is blunt,remove it and turn it over,you will get more use out of it ! Don't know why but something I never thought of doing,although I now have a sharpener for the blades also!
Karen9p26/01/2012 18:59:26
516 forum posts
116 photos
My tip would be find a forum like this as everyone is so helpful and someone always knows the answer or can make suggestions as to where to get the answer. I am a self taught novice, this site was such a revalaton for me.
Karen x
Winnie the B.O.L.B26/01/2012 19:03:15
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
Hi Mal - I've seen the boards in the catalogues but never tried one - was always a bit owrried that ironing "on" it would run the risk of warping the other side. It sounds, though as if that isn't a problem and that it's good.

I like the sound of your wooden "gadget" - no, I'm not sure exactly how it will work - but I'll take your word for it!!! It is always a bit of a pest to have to iron press every seam and finger pressing isn't always enough is it? Sounds lik ea very useful alternative - will look into it.
Cheers
Margaret
Winnie the B.O.L.B26/01/2012 19:09:15
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
Hi Liz - perhaps it "works" because, if you cut only with one hand, then you will be pressing more on one side of the blade than the other??? Just a guess. As a left hander - we tend to end up ambidextrous in this right handed world where things in general are designed for right handers - I swap back and forwards between hand, depending on the angle I need for cutting so maybe my blades will be evenly blunted!! Are there any other left handers out there who could add their thoughts to this??
It still sounds well worth a try though - nothing to lose!
cheers
Margaret
Winnie the B.O.L.B26/01/2012 19:12:59
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
Hi Karen - I couldn't agree with you more - I'm basically self taught with only a relatively short time as part of a group back in my home town of Edinburgh and the info on the site is great. Best thing of all though, as you say, is the incredible friendliness and helpfulness of everyone I've "met" through this "club"
Cheers
Margaret
Myra of Cheadle26/01/2012 19:19:44
591 forum posts
128 photos
Dear Karen9p

If there was a "like" button I'd certainly click on your post above! I was a self-taught novice once (about 22 years ago?) but now I've had instruction from exhibitions, other quilters (obviously!) magazine articles etc..... So, now I'm an assisted novice - in the sense that we are all still leraing (ha, a tpying error at last for Jna, can't mark in red anymore - last i heard was it should be green? - but my teacher traing year was about 22 years ago also?) learning!

I spoke to a breavement councellor on Tuesday who asked me what I did at school....
A levels in Maths, Economics and Geography. When were you happy? Diong my degree. Well, she suggested, how about Accountancy? And how about another degree?

Well, after the less polite options passed through my mind, I admitted I was a qualified accountant (ACCA - chartered AND certified). What would I do a degree in? And why?

Probably not going back to see her again....

My top tips

1 Find a good basic book - my first one was from WHSmith - now I'd use the library to borrow a few before I chose one to purchase.

2. Find a group or forum for support !

3 Enjoy it. (Perhaps that should be first?)

4. Don't look for the mistakes, deviations you have made from the instructions etc. Accept your work as it is - corrections can be made but are not compulsary.

And a joke to finish -
Man - how can I find how many ants are in my garden?

Woman - use an account ANT!

(Sorry - on the radio late on Tuesday evening - made me laugh anyway)

TTFN
Myra (In Gatley)

quilt and patch26/01/2012 20:01:48
3494 forum posts
636 photos
I know this is not a tip but thought you might like it!

Finished is way better than perfect .

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Quilters never grow old, they just go to pieces!!!

and to finish for now 'In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you're in my block of friends'
This is so true!!!!

All quotes anon,from pocket posh tips for quilters.

Winnie the B.O.L.B26/01/2012 21:26:22
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles
Hi Liz,

Definitely like all of these quotes - a wonderful "story" to take to bed- soon!!! - it IS 10.30 here, not 9.30 and I have had an incredibly busy day - unfortunately not including any sewing!!! My "normal" bedtime by the way, although not up to Batty Jan's standards is normally at least midnight - it's just that my stamina has run out tonight!

Thanks of all of the responses to this new thread - I've learned a lot of useful bits and pieces already.

Night night all

Margaret
Tessa26/01/2012 21:40:58
5766 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Margaret, if you are an hour ahead of us, where is it that you live.?? Just curious.

Tessa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners