By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

CUSHION CAPERS

Fun idea, truly it is!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Cushion Capers

Cushion Capers

We've all been watching Kirstie Allsopp on her Handmade Britain tour this autumn. Her prizewinning patchwork cushion inspired quite a lot of debate, and a challenge for forum members. Take a look at what we got up to here!

Q: Which is your favourite Kirstie inspired cushion? Check the album to see the pictures!

A  
2%

B  
4%

C  
15%

D  
20%

E  
2%

F  
11%

G  
4%

H  
6%

I  
15%

J  
7%

K  
9%

L  
2%

M  
2%

N  
2%

(54 votes)

Janet M04/11/2011 23:46:29
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hi Everyone,

We have all seen 'IT' we have all passed our remarks about 'IT'. So now it is time for us to do something about 'IT'.

I am challenging you all to make a cushion 'ala Kirsty' ---now it was only small so don't go mad, to me it looked about 12" square.
The thing is, it took her 7 weeks to make it ----right!!!

My challenge is for you to make a cushion similar to hers in one week. You have from tomorrow - Saturday 5 November until next Saturday to make this and place a picture in the album which I will put up Next Friday.
NOW, you have to promise to put the picture of your cushion up whether or not you have finished it. ONE WEEK from tomorrow.
I am supplying a prize of 2 fat quarters for the winner who will be voted for by all of you, I will get our lovely Katy to set a voting thing up for us.

Any queries, ask away, but the time limit is ONE WEEK, that's 7 days folks
the project is ONE CUSHION similar to K's small don't forget

Please do not put any pictures up of your cushion in progress, NO
we only want the finished OR NOT article next Saturday.
Hand or machine
in the car or notIf you are sitting in a field,
don't go dropping your needle!!!
Hare today or gone tomorrow
I don't care about the Hare.
It certainly won't be on mine.

So, after all our grumbling, are you up for this?
Let's show them how to do it. 

...............................the dotted line.

jan

Edited By BattyJan on 04/11/2011 23:47:50

Angela05/11/2011 07:20:07
1718 forum posts
369 photos
11 articles
I love this idea Jan I've got so much on but I think even in spite of that I could make this in a week - count me in!

Ang
Angela05/11/2011 07:30:16
1718 forum posts
369 photos
11 articles
On the Channel 4 website it shows you how the make the cushion and this is what it says about the time it takes...

Allow at least an hour for each of the sections of the cushion. In total, allow at least a weekend.

Hmmmmm....
pamela jeffrey05/11/2011 09:10:58
3192 forum posts
114 photos
hello

I will have a go at this. I feel I must after all the comments.

It will not have a hare on either. Can it be of any thing and does the size matter. I don't like small cushions

My husband thought it was a good idea.
Bye Pam
Katy05/11/2011 09:12:12
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Me too! I'm itching to get started, shopping and birthday parties today though!
Angela05/11/2011 09:24:55
1718 forum posts
369 photos
11 articles
Pam, if you look on the website at the instructions... here - it's actually a cushion filled with stuffing and lavender, which I think is a better idea - not sure if they mentioned that on the programme. I'm not putting a hare on - mine's having a butterfly theme I expect you can make it any size you're comfortable with, but mine is going to be 12" square...I think.

Sorting out the fabrics is probably going to take more time than it will to make, but I'm getting there

Ang
catssmudge05/11/2011 10:25:38
418 forum posts
26 photos
Good luck ladies and have fun. I'm waiting with baited breath to see the finished cushions.

catssmudge
Irene B05/11/2011 10:39:45
4433 forum posts
405 photos
I think I would like to have a go too!! Still emptying Mum's house, but hey think I'll give it a break today.

Irene B
Margaret S05/11/2011 11:51:24
4041 forum posts
766 photos
Now I am a Bonda Web, machine blanket stitch kind of person. With my eyesight and arthritic fingers, needle turned applique is not my thing. You get the idea. Well after 70 minutes, one sore finger and a big headache I have a hare! Unlike Kirsty, I did not cut off one of his ears either! I am now going to have a rest.

Margaret

P.S. First time I have used freezer paper.  I used the freezer paper on the R.S. and it gave a firm edge to stitch by. O.K. it lifted a bit but it can easily be ironed back. I liked this method.

Edited By Margaret S on 05/11/2011 11:53:36

Angela05/11/2011 12:55:51
1718 forum posts
369 photos
11 articles
I've never used freezer paper either - I like raw edge applique like you Margaret. I've not done a hare - I've done my own thing - as per usual!! I've got the cushion top done and ready for the embroidery. It's taken me all morning - apart from about 1/2 hour when I made a rice bag for my DS who somehow managed to get a hole in his!! I have bee doing a bit of preparing the fabric etc which will become clear when you see it - I don't make things easy for myself

Ang

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners