By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New techniques and challenges

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy21/06/2011 19:58:36
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Having read the comments today about the magazine content and catering for more experienced quilters, I thought that maybe we could even things out a little by trying to cater more for experienced quilters here on the website. Would you like something a little like the Journal quilts and Square dance series, where we could try a new technique here each month?
It is only a thought, and I would need some help to decide what techniques we should cover. Is there anything that you would like to learn about at the moment?
Fiona21/06/2011 20:05:33
3138 forum posts
486 photos
Katy, you're a star!

Personally, I'd like to try anything new and something like the journal quilts or square dance would be the perfect size for a trial piece that could actually be finished.

I enjoyed your article on binding. Maybe other technical stuff like resizing blocks or "easy" ways to make HST would be useful to others as well as trying out "arty" stuff or new products.

Fiona.
Aude21/06/2011 20:07:57
593 forum posts
87 photos

Yes please Katy anything thats a challenge.

Aude
Katy21/06/2011 20:52:17
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Ok, my ideas for monthly challenges at the moment are
1"Proper" sun printing (we'll have to buy chemicals though) - as I found the fabric paint version wouldn't work for me and I had to use the oven to get any effect
2 Mola - basic solid colours and reverse applique
3 Shadow applique
4 Will think about what we can do for block resizing - any ideas? I just resize in eQ7, but that is no use for a pen and paper solution, so I must try and think of a more sensible method, can anyone help?.
5 Fabric manipulated interpretations of traditional blocks
6 Fabric manipulated flowers
Any more, or am I on the wrong track? Any suggestions welcome!
Ta
Katy
Mal-A21/06/2011 21:07:34
1210 forum posts
168 photos
Katy

I think this is a splendid idea - Journal Quilts. Small and easy to manage. When do we start?

Regards Mal
Katy21/06/2011 21:18:24
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Hi Mal,
We can start as soon as I've written an article about a Journal Quilt technique! I'd like to start with a topic that someone other than me is interested in though, so if you have an idea or a preference, please let me know! I will try to think of some more suitable topics this evening, and hope I come up with something suitable.
Ta
Katy
Ros21/06/2011 22:02:59
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Thanks Katy, that is a lovely suggestion. I rather like the sound of the mola applique! But I will be happy to go along with what you decide.
Ros
Marian T21/06/2011 22:25:45
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles
They all sound very interesting ideas Katy. I'd also like to explore how to transfer origami folding to fabric for cushions etc. if possible.

Thanks Katy
Marian

Katy21/06/2011 22:41:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Ok, I will get my Mola and Origami head on in the morning and we will see what happens!
Irene B21/06/2011 23:23:19
4433 forum posts
405 photos
Katy,
Super ideas and I'll look forward to doing some of these projects. I really love the Journals and Square Dance - I learned so much. I'd like to learn more about fabric folding and perhaps sample heirloom quilting. I'll go along with whatever you decide

Irene x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners