By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Tessa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
H29/03/2011 14:32:44
1116 forum posts
139 photos
Have you tried enticing it back with chocolate or a nice cake?! Maybe it would be helpful to stitch something that's just for you, for fun, with no deadline and no pressure - that way your mojo might not be able to resist having a sneaky peek and then joining in ;o)

Take care and take it easy!
H x
Tessa29/03/2011 14:38:56
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Oh H....such wonderful ideas....but sadly I have no chocolate in the house and I haven't had a decent piece of cake in years. Having Coeliac Disease you don't eat normal baked cake like everyone else. The no wheat flour problem only creates a cake that can be very dry and crumbly so I just don't eat any.

Maybe I'll get my birthday blocks out again this afternoon. I've been putting sashings on them and machine quilting then individually....maybe that will help.

I've also had to take pain killers for the knee in the last half hour, so I can feel myself getting a bit heavy headed, so it may be nap time for a while. I'll let you know if Mojo shows up.

Tessa x
H29/03/2011 14:56:31
1116 forum posts
139 photos
I know that Phil Vickery sometimes does gluten free recipes on 'This Morning' and I've found this recipe for vanilla cupcakes - it needs some ingredients that may not be found in the supermarket (xanthan gum, anyone?!) but I'm sure we'll find them somewhere online! I've also found this thread on the Jamie Oliver forum which also has some cake recipes on it (I might give the lemon drzzle chickpea cake a try but I'm not keen on honey so will have to substitute something else...).

Mind you, it'd be easier to send DP out for a bar of chocolate!

I hope you enjoyed your nap and that you feel a bit better,
H x
rosemary Rosenfeld29/03/2011 15:13:43
5842 forum posts
1710 photos
13 articles
Hi Tessa, I make bread and cake for my sister who is VERY wheat and dairy intolerent, I usually use rice flour in normal recipes, adding a bit more baking powder if necessary and I've had no complaints. The only problem with the bread is that it doesn't keep more than 3 days but then it doesn't usually last that long!! Send me a message and I'll try to sort out some recipes. I did buy a cook book with all sorts of recipes for people with different dietry requirements. Our family goes in for that quite a lot!!!!! I do have a great lemon(or orange ) cake recipe which disappears almost instantly when ever it is put on the table! (and I'm not talking only about my sister. I think I have a copy on a hard drive somewhere. If I can find it I'll send it on! It came from the Guardian one Saturday!
Best
Rosemary
Tessa29/03/2011 19:11:52
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi H.... thanks for the info. I get the Coeliac UK magazine and Phil Vickery is the main chef in the mag. He's one of our main representives for gluten free foods. Xanthan Gum is used as a replacement for gluten in recipes....Gluten is the elastine that holds the breads together, but it carries a protein that Coeliacs are sensitive to. I was going to say allergic, but it's not an allergy, it's an auto-immune problem. I can get Xanthan Gum at the grocery store. And yes, taking all that into consideration, I'd rather the chocolate.

Rosemary, have PM'd you.

Tessa
Tessa29/03/2011 19:18:47
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Oh...and H....Mojo hasn't shown up yet, so I decided to start without him. Must really give it a name....Mojo is just so plain and unassuming. Making a pin cushion....

Still trying to figure out a way to make a waterfall from crystal organza....????

Tessa
Caz29/03/2011 21:07:32
2545 forum posts
273 photos
I lost my Mojo a little while ago,, but having been to the Exeter quilt show last Sunday I have found it again. I think because I had to get my son's wedding quilt finished, my mojo decided to have a little holiday! I hope yours shows up soon Tessa!!!

Caz
Tessa29/03/2011 22:03:23
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Well done Caz....I've seen the picture of your wedding quilt and it is beautiful....

Glad you found your Mojo because of the quilt show....mine is still lurking around somewhere, but won't need him tomorrow...new computer coming. But I did get my pin cushion made.

Tessa
Fiona30/03/2011 18:39:26
3127 forum posts
479 photos
Shame you're not a member of my quilt group Tessa - I set them a challenge to make a pin cushion for April and we'll be voting for the winner next week! Bought the prizes yesterday - some pretty flower pins!

My sister has all sorts of food allergies and from time to time avoids wheat too. A pain in the proverbial, really, although it does make everyone cook properly for her! She occasionally does splash out on the horrendously expensive biscuits or cake then uses up the crumbs in my mum's famous broken-biscuit cake, which I suppose is a kind of tiffin. Tesco's Free From range occasionally has some reasonably priced bakery-goods - and the iced fruit cake at Christmas was gorgeous!

Fiona.
Tessa30/03/2011 19:36:36
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Fiona, believe it or not...the pin cushion pattern was sent to me by my quilt group as I haven't been able to get out to them for the last couple of meetings because of the surgery. It really is simple and can be very colourful. The first picture is actually the bottom of the pin cushion and the second picture is the top.

With regards to my gluten free stuff....I buy an annual prescription certificate so I can order as much gluten free foods on prescription as I need. Saves me literally £100's each year.

Well, off to see if my Mojo has shown up anywhere.
Tessa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues