By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sewing room

Storage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Penelope Garnham03/10/2010 12:49:58
45 forum posts
11 photos
I am so lucky - my DH has turned the spare room into a sewing room for me, long table for cutting etc, work-top for the sewing machine, (knitting machine set up down one wall with cones, balls etc!), book shelves for patterns, magazines, narrow drawers for rulers,etc.

BUT - I don't know quite how to store my fabric! The stash at the moment is quite small. a few fat quarters and some fabric that I've had for years, but I would like to be able to see what I've got, not have to dig through drawers or piles of material. '

What do other people do? Can you give me some ideas please? At the moment I've got space - but not much money, fortunately DH is very DIY proficient!
Thanks
Penelope (twelve weeks to Christmas less one day, thought you might like to know!)
Ros03/10/2010 14:08:41
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Hello Penelope,
One idea I like which I have seen is a glass fronted cabinet and then fabric stacked neatly on the shelves (sorted by colours).  You can see what you have (very important) but it looks good too.  IKEA or second-hand sideboard would be ideal.
As to what I have, lots of higglety-pigglety boxes all over the house, and I'm desperate for somewhere to put it all together.  One day!!!!!
Good luck.
Ros

Sally-Ann03/10/2010 14:09:12
70 forum posts
25 photos
How lovely of your DH

I have a small sewing room which use to be the study (my DH converted it earlier this year for my birthday). I store my fat quarters in a tall wooden CD holder which I think came from Ikea, they fit perfectly.

Edited to add link

Edited By Sally-Ann on 03/10/2010 14:13:10

Tessa03/10/2010 14:27:31
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Penelope,

I've got some glass fronted cabinets as well, 6 drawers in all, plus the shelves that my DH put up have clear plastic storage bins that are stackable.  Then I put a label on the front of everything so I don't have to search through them....so much time can be wasted looking when you can be sewing. 

I have a small low box on the table behind my sewing machine with my 2 rotary cutters and 6 pairs of scissors, and all my threads are on the wall mounted spool holders. 

You will find that as you go along, you will change things to suit your own needs.  I can't change anything more in my sewing room....but I now have a place for everything and everything in it's place. 

Tessa
Irene K03/10/2010 14:44:41
365 forum posts
11 photos
Hi Penelope,
In my sewing room I have an Ikea Billy bookcase in white (which is the cheapest option and looks better in my small room) and on the shelves I have loads of Ikea plastic boxes with lids to house my fabric. There are small ones which take fat q's and larger ones which take folded fabric in larger amounts. Each shelf will hold 4 small boxes alongside each other, and you can move the shelves to accomodate layers of boxes as they all nest on one another. For instance I have them 4 deep on one shelf, so that shelf holds 16 small boxes with room on top!
The best thing is, they are see through so that I can see whats in them, although I also use labels on the fronts of the boxes too.
Like Tessa said, you will change things around to suit from time to time., but isn't it just great to have a sewing room!

Irene K
Margaret S03/10/2010 15:32:13
3923 forum posts
705 photos
Hi Penelope

Like Ros, I have stuff all over the house, but the main part of my stash is housed on three long, 14" deep, shelves. Like Tessa, I have plastic storage boxes on them, although mine are not clear. Each box is labelled and contains fabric  of one colour. It saves me time having things sorted by colour. Then there is the double wardrobe and the smaller labelled boxes with strips, squares, triangles etc.

When it gets chaotic, it's fun to sort through and find things that I have forgotten about!

Margaret
pamela jeffrey03/10/2010 16:31:26
3192 forum posts
114 photos
Hello Penelope

I have the small back bed room. I have clear boxes for fat quarters. Then I use the wardbrobes and have fabric in colour  order so I can see it all . Not that it all ways stays tidy.  Plus shelves for bits and piece's under that I hang 1 of those hanging with lots of pockets in for cutter and other items.  The ironing board has a home to.

How is the group going that you found.
Bye Pam
Alison04/10/2010 07:49:59
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles
May I sound a word of warning about fabric in clear boxes, and behind glass.
I keep my fabric in plastic boxes in the spare bedroom and noticed, after a while, that some of the fabric was being sun bleached, leaving a faint stripe on the fabric. I now cover the boxes with a quilt that didn't quite work out.
Alison. 
Cathy Turner NZ04/10/2010 08:24:28
1416 forum posts
155 photos
I am so jealous, I want a proper sewing room as well!

I have a wall in the spare room with my trestle table along it, boxes stored underneath with room for my legs and foot pedal, plastic containers  lining a wall, and the top of the bed is covered in batting, books, material, you name it, its there.

Its ridiculous,  we live in a 3 bedroom house, there is only the two of us nowadays, and I am jammed in a corner!  Both of the boys left so much stuff behind from their flatting days, that there are boxes in wardrobes and all over the show.

Could your husband come over here and "create" something for me?  I will send him back, I promise????

Cathy
Penelope Garnham04/10/2010 09:35:28
45 forum posts
11 photos
Thank you everyone for all the replies, I'm working on the solution right now!

Cathy - having had two boys I have the solution - rent a large skip, charge the boys, fill skip with all boxes etc! Perhaps you could give them a one hour/day/week/month notice to be fair ..... but then again ....! 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
Janome
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
C&T publishing
Sarik
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues