Underground Railroad Sampler

Based on Underground Railroad Quilt Blocks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ros09/09/2010 15:08:31
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Tessa, 
I've made my Jacob's Ladder block - by hand as no access to machine today.  I'm not having much luck uploading the picture (anyone else having problems?) so you will find it in my album.
Ros
Irene K09/09/2010 16:25:43
365 forum posts
11 photos
Well done Pam and Ros for completing your first block already, they both look really good.
I havent had chance to even look for the fabric yet as the last couple of days have been spent looking for a rat that we disturbed behind the fridge!..Looks like my dear cat has extended his hunting skills and gone for bigger prey - just wish he wouldn't bring them in alive.
Anyway the rat man has been and put some stuff down and assures us that it will be gone/dead very quickly. Hope so.

Irene K
Tessa09/09/2010 18:56:50
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Ros...your block looks lovely....so far mine is the only block that uses more than two colours.....

See I told you so.....this is going to be very interesting to see how the colours are worked through the different blocks, especially when you have to find your own pattern and then your own colour preferences....Now How Cool Is That ?? 

Keep the piccies coming gals.....

Tessa
Caz09/09/2010 21:09:56
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Hi Tessa,
not knowing what the other blocks are,, would it be possible to use 2 fabrics for each of them?? just wondering!  Don't know what colours to use yet, as I really want to use my stash. So it could be a scrappy type quilt!!

Caz
Tessa09/09/2010 21:48:02
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Caz....

No...I don't think using two fabrics for each block would work.  The minimum fabrics in any block seems to be 3, (just checking my book -  ok there is only one block with 2 fabrics) and the maximum seems to be 9. 

As I mentioned to Pam earlier in the forum, there are 17 different fabrics used in my set of blocks from the book, but that doesn't mean you need to use the same number.  This definitely a Stash Buster of a quilt.   

So just have fun.  You'll work it out as each month passes.  Your fabric choice will be great, no matter what you use.    Make it a real scrappy happy quilt. 

Tessa

Juliet09/09/2010 21:57:56
2101 forum posts
162 photos
Just made Jacobs Ladder have used 3 fabrics, will try and send a picture as soon as I can I need my Husband to help with it. Really must learn to do it myself I cant get the picture from the camera into the computer.

Juliet
Tessa09/09/2010 22:18:14
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Looking forward to seeing it Juliet. 

Tessa
Juliet09/09/2010 22:40:23
2101 forum posts
162 photos
Here it is I hope.

Juliet

Irene K09/09/2010 23:19:03
365 forum posts
11 photos
Hi Juliet, this looks really good. Are you going to use these colours throughout the blocks or make yours 'scrappy' too?
Actually, this is  the version that I am going to attempt, which I found in my Quilters Block Bible, and interestingly the book says the block has......
 'many other names, such as Underground Railway, referring to the system of secret routes by which slaves could escape from captivity in the South of the USA'

Irene K x

Juliet10/09/2010 10:06:33
2101 forum posts
162 photos
Well Irene I do have a selection of fabrics that sort of go together so I'm not sure which I will use, will have to see as we go along play it by ear as they say. I found Jacobs Ladder a nice easy block to make.

Juliet x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues