Based on Underground Railroad Quilt Blocks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tessa08/09/2010 13:42:01
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Ros, 

You can do all or just a few of the blocks....but of course...the blocks form a pattern of direction and communication from the past. 

I won't be keeping tabs of everyone involved...you work at your own pace.  Just enjoy ! !

Tessa
Fiona08/09/2010 14:32:34
3115 forum posts
465 photos
Oh goodness - just knew I shouldn't read this but think I'll be doing this too - I don't really need to sleep do I???? I'll just blame you Tessa for the dark circles under my eyes..... Seriously, one block a month sounds good to me - just need to get a few things finished first....
Tessa08/09/2010 14:37:57
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Fiona...

Just keep the glass of wine out of your hand and you'll have less dark circles under the eyes....tee hee....

It would be great if you would join in on the fun.  I sent an email to my brother in Canada and told him of the Block of the Month and he immediately told me to be sure I tell everyone why I have such an interest in this subject....soon....I'll let you know. 

Tessa
Tessa08/09/2010 15:50:35
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

'Jacobs Ladder' also known as the 'Underground Railroad'.  Depending on which way the block was placed on the quilt, it would show the direction a 'passenger' was to travel to safety and freedom.  This one is pointing to the northwest.

Tessa

Caz08/09/2010 16:38:08
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Another thing to put on my 'to do' list!!!
I need to give up work!

Caz
pamela jeffrey08/09/2010 16:50:21
3192 forum posts
114 photos
Hello Tessa

Can I just ask how many colours will be used through the  quilt.  I have lots to use up but want it all to match.  Or would it be best to do randon colours.

Strange but I have the templates to this block. Will maybe do it tomorrow when husband gone fishing.

Many thanks Pam
Tessa08/09/2010 17:10:27
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Pam...

Just checking in the book and I see that even the background fabrics vary slightly from one block to the next.  There are seventeen fabrics in the actual blocks, so what I would suggest is to choose a colour way and stick to those shades.  I'm doing muted autumn shades for my quilt so will find my background and main colours in my stash.  I don't plan on buying any fabric for this quilt at all. 

They use 4 different shades of beige and creams for their background fabrics and 13 other fabrics for the coloured portion of the blocks.  It just sounds like a good idea to try and use up your stash. 

I think the outer border may be the only purchase I'll need to make.  I've got wadding and backing already. 

Tessa
Joan08/09/2010 18:29:13
594 forum posts
8 photos
Can I join as well, please, it will get me  practicing  different blocks.
sounds very interesting  
joan 
Tessa08/09/2010 21:03:11
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Joan...

You don't need permission to join my dear....just start anytime you want.  The colours you use and the size of the blocks that you finish with are your choice completely. 

Good to see you want to give it a try....all of the blocks in this sampler will be traditional blocks...so it should make it easy as well as fun.

Tessa
Irene B08/09/2010 23:28:24
4433 forum posts
405 photos
Hi Tessa,
I've just got back from Switzerland tonight and seen this thread.  I've been away for about two and a half weeks.  I think it's a super idea and will be joining in.

We got caught with the French national strike yesterday - the day we were to travel back to the UK.  We re-booked TGV for today and hoped that EuroStar would transfer our tickets.  Both TGV and ES came up trumps by refunding our train tickets from Lausanne to Paris and ES transfering our yesterday tickets to today.

Irene B

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Janome
Sewing Quarter
Crafting Live
Sarik
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues