Based on Underground Railroad Quilt Blocks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tessa23/08/2010 20:23:19
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would throw this one out to all of you.  Irene, Glenda and I have spoken in the past about doing a block of the month based on the book called Underground Railroad Sampler.  There are 15 blocks, each very different.

What I am proposing is that each month I post the name of a block, and each of you find the pattern with that name and make the block.  There could be different variations of the same block, but as long as the name is the same.  Each block in your finished sampler should be the same size finished, and the size of the block is up to you.  The book shows 12" finished blocks, but each of you can make your own size depending on how big you want your finished quilt to be. 

The block names would be given in order.....as they are in the book....there is an obvious reason for this.  Each month I would give an explanation of the block and why it was used. 

So, what do you think??  Are there any ladies out there who would be interested in one block a month.....and not knowing what block it is till I tell you.  I'll just wait for some feedback before I decide to continue. 

Tessa
Jackie23/08/2010 21:05:43
409 forum posts
1 photos
This sounds interesting, will I need to buy the book or can the blocks be found on the internet?  Anyway I'm interested

Jackie
Tessa23/08/2010 21:08:44
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Jackie...

You don't need to buy the book.....as I post each block you can search the internet for the block with the same name.... usually Quilters Cache will have something...and there are other sites that do free patterns....  each of the blocks are very traditional so you really shouldn't have too much finding them.

Tessa
Katy23/08/2010 21:10:30
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Tessa
I think it is a great idea, one lady from my quilt group is already interested. I am happy to help, we can post the monthly block history as an article each month so that people can find it easily rather than going through the forum thread. We can't post the instructions direct from the book, we would be breaking copyright if we did that, but they are all traditional blocks, and I think it would be really interesting to see which variations people choose.

I think it is importnat that people choose what size block they make. If anyone gets stuck drafting a block to a particular size, I am happy to draft them for anyone, I love doing that bit!  

I would love to join in, so that is five of us so far, plus Jackie if she fancies it!
Ta

Katy

Edited By Katy on 23/08/2010 21:12:51

Caz23/08/2010 21:16:06
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Very interesting Tessa,,,,
shall I?  Yeah,, why not. put my name down please.

Caz
Glenda F23/08/2010 21:16:33
1643 forum posts
218 photos
Hi Tessa
   I would still like to takeing part but still need to get some of my materials
Glenda

Tessa23/08/2010 21:17:02
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
That's fantastic Katy, I'm pleased you want to join in.  Your ideas of helping with the block sizes are very welcome. 

The background fabric on all the blocks can be completely different.....and the patterns can be made from scraps from the stash.  All of my blocks will be of the same colour tones, but not the same fabric patterns.  It gives me a chance to use up what I have. 

Tessa
Tessa23/08/2010 21:19:53
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Glenda...

Why not use all the fabrics from your stash and create something completely different each month??   It would certainly be unique.  

Tessa

Tessa23/08/2010 21:21:36
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Caz....welcome my dear....this will be a very traditional block quilt....I think it will be fun....

Tessa
Caz23/08/2010 21:23:43
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Tessa,
I am hoping to use up my stash fabric, I have so much!!

Caz

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Sewing Quarter
Sarik
Search Press
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues