By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Colour runs when washed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Popular Patchwork April 2010

Popular Patchwork April 2010

Take a look the contents pages of the April 2010 issue of your favourite Patchwork magazine, in the shops from 5th March.

Patsy18/03/2010 12:31:47
3 forum posts
I bought some fabric recently of which the colours runs when I washed it - Is there a way the colour can be set?
Irene B18/03/2010 14:05:56
4433 forum posts
405 photos
Hello Patsy,
Welcome to the Forum.

I always wash my fabrics after buying them and before I use them for patchwork projects.  Colour always comes out of the fabric especially the darker colours.  Once washed, I rinse and rinse in warm water until the colour stops coming out.  When it's dry I give the fabric a good press with a hot iron.  So far I've not had any colour run, but I always wash at approx 30 degrees.

Hope this helps.

I expect there are others on the Forum who will have good tips to help you.
Irene B
Patsy18/03/2010 17:28:13
3 forum posts
Hello Irene

Thank you for the tip.  The fabrics are bright / dark colours.  I'll wash the fabric again and this time I'll keep rinsing.  I'll let you know if it works.  Many thanks
Patsy
rosemary Rosenfeld19/03/2010 17:52:07
5710 forum posts
1661 photos
13 articles
Hi , I always add some "colour catchers " to the wash, they DO work and you end up with some interesting coloured pieces which I use as backgrounds for postcards etc.
Best wishes
Rosemary
Maggi B19/03/2010 20:06:57
770 forum posts
97 photos
Hi Patsy
I always wash any fabric as soon as I get it home, usually at 40 degrees. If it is hand dyed, like Rosemary,  I add colour catchers and have a great collection of colours.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Janome
lewis and irene
C&T publishing
bredons
SewAndSo
Sarik
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues