By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Music to quilt by

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kimberly09/08/2009 19:18:52
1145 forum posts
165 photos
1 articles
After learning of Angela's disasterous nicking of her handbag and the mp3 player, I started thinking of how awful I would feel if I lost my tunes. Although I have a mini sound system and just play my cd's up in the quilting corner...I would be lost without my music.

So, in honour of the missing MP3...what do you all listen to when you sew?

I've been known to listen to a book on tape/cd...but also I have certain artists that "sing" to me as I work.

When I am working on quilts for children I choose happy music and frequently Christian music so the words spoken (sung) over the quilts will be good, kind words and thoughts.

However, I do have a funky side and  I like Simply Red, Annie Lennox and sometimes I bring out the big guns when I've got a lot of quilting to do....Prince!

OK, who's next?
Dusie09/08/2009 19:40:56
511 forum posts
42 photos
I'm afraid I am not so virtuous.
When I am at the sewing machine, it is the only time I get to catch up on TV from the week, and even then my back is to it, so generally it is soap operas. Not sure what that will do to the quilts, going on your theory, Kim.
And when it is music, it is usually modern country music.

Caz09/08/2009 19:46:25
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Got to be a bit of Joe Brown for me, or some 'easy listening'. I like to sing along to the Davids' (Essex and Cassidy),or Phil Collins. I must admit to having Abba to Zucchero. I also like Tim Mcgraw/ Alan Jackson.

Caz
Maggi B09/08/2009 20:03:15
770 forum posts
97 photos
Neil Young, Jackson Browne, James Taylor and Blue by Joni Mitchell. No music, no sewing!

Maggi 
Di T09/08/2009 20:14:34
1141 forum posts
31 photos

Depends on what I'm sewing or the mood I'm in.  Could be Neil Diamond, REM, Josh Groban, male voice chors, bit of classical.  Believe it or not I also listen to football or rugby on 5 Live if there is a good match on!!!!

Di
Cath09/08/2009 22:32:59
871 forum posts
195 photos
I'm going to sound like a real old fuddy duddy now, but here goes.....I listen to radio 4, I just love "The Archers", Womans Hour and a good radio Play. If I get bored with that, I switch to Classic FM!! I do occasionally play a CD, and then it can be anything from Andreas Botecilli (that is spelled wrong I know), to Amy Winehouse or The Waterboys. Mainly Radio 4 tho!!  Actually, about three or four times a year, I may put on radio 2.
Kimberly10/08/2009 06:29:26
1145 forum posts
165 photos
1 articles
I think I'm going to have to dig out the sound-track for the film "Return to Me" (David Duchovny and Minnie Driver) for my Aunt and Uncle's Anniversary quilt. Frank Sinatra was their style and I know Donna just adored him (Rascal that he was). If you haven't seen that film, it's great, a real tear jerker and the music just makes it perfect....Yes, that will be perfect to sew to on their quilt. I purchased 10.000 Maniacs Unplugged last month and it's a good one to sew to also...yeah gotta listen to the tunes when I sew.
Also...if you want a good book on tape (cd) ask your library for Mao's Last Dancer...Wonderful true story.
Keep that music coming and I'm going to find my copy of The New World Symphony to give it a go next week.

Maggie Mckay10/08/2009 12:20:28
447 forum posts
86 photos
I tend to listen to the radio whilst quilting but if I was to be organised and sort out my Ipod I would be listeniing to Fairport Convention, Holst's Planets The Royal Marines Bands and The RAF Bands plus a local Swing Band so quite a mixture of music really
Jytte10/08/2009 13:26:02
391 forum posts
59 photos
It's not good if there is no music whilst stitching. Or any other time.
Mostly I listen to London Heart.
I put on cds with Roy Orbison, who  is my all time favourite. Next a bit of Leonard Cohen. Queen, The Stones,  Mose Allison, and 4 cds called Radio Gold, which is all rock'nroll from the 50s and 60s.
Radio 4 comes on at times. I like blues too.
And Etta James, Annie Lennox, Dinah Washington.......and more

Angela, hope you can get your music back together soon. 
Jytte
Tessa11/08/2009 23:58:43
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
I love music that I can sing to....Celine Dion, Josh Groban, Phil Collins, John Denver,  I love classical especially Vivaldi's Four Seasons....and just recently purchased my first album of Alison Krauss.....  love the softer side of country western. 

Always need music playing....keeps the momentum going....Movie Soundtracks from Lion King and Tarzan and My Fair Lady, Sound of Music.....stuff you can really sink your soul into.... 

Tessa

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
ECT
Janome
The Cotton Patch
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
C&T publishing
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues