By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hexagon help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Susan M16/07/2014 12:56:08
176 forum posts
36 photos

Hi KayKay,

i bought a metal hexagon template and used a scalpel ( medical instrument ) to cut round it. I used old magazines and cut several layers at a time. Don't use paper that is too thick or you'll make your fingers sore pushing the needle through.

have fun

Kay A16/07/2014 14:21:50
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Irene, those templates are perfect, is printer paper thick enough to use or do I need to feed something firmer into my printer?

Sylverine, I couldn't get your link to work. I'd love to see what you've been making

I'm not sure about using a scalpel Susan, I'm not very confident doing straight lines with a rotary cutter so doing corners with a scalpel scares me!

kay x

Irene B16/07/2014 15:51:40
4433 forum posts
405 photos

KayKay, I would use a thicker computer paper - I use 160 gsm as it keeps its shape better.

I have a book by Jaynette Huff called 'Quilts from Grandmother's Garden' which you might like. Some of the hexagons are tiny! The projects are small pieces which are very portable.

Irene rose

Sylverine16/07/2014 16:10:32
2 forum posts
Try this one Kay Kay

Copy and paste to your address bar.

And I find 90-100gsm paper is fine with standard American cotton material or finer. But I tend to recycle old magazines with slightly thicker glossy paper as that keeps it's shape really well and of course makes use of old mags.
Alison16/07/2014 16:30:59
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Hi KayKay,

For templates I use the back of old printouts we've saved, if they get used up then whatever's in the printer at the time, I've never used any thing firmer.

If you let me know what size templates you want I can produce an A4 sheet of them on Quilt Pro and send it to you attached to an email. If you would like me to do this send me a pm with the size you would like, point to point is the easiest measurement to use, and your email address.

Alison.

Alison16/07/2014 16:37:06
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

KayKay,

I thought you might be interested in a photo of my hexagon cats quilt, made with 1/4" hexagons.Hexagon cats

and my hexagon swirls quilt, 1/2" hexagons this time

Hexagon-swirls.jpg

Alison.

Kay A16/07/2014 18:45:08
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

Thanks for the link Irene, I'm going to see if I can get my local library to order it in for me

Jayne your cat mats (&cats) are lovely

Thanks Alison that is very kind offer. Are the hexagons in the templates joined together? I printed out the ones from the links that Irene very kindly posted & they have gaps between them so you cut each hexagon out individually

Your quilts are incredible, how on earth do you plan something like that? I didn't realise I was in the presence of hexagon royalty

Kay x

maria hewitt16/07/2014 20:34:04
985 forum posts
187 photos

Claire sent me this atc last year with tiny hexagons. lg phone.jpg

maria hewitt16/07/2014 20:38:52
985 forum posts
187 photos

Alison your quilts are beautiful and amazing, I would never have the patience to do all of that. I am too slapdash, as I like to see quick results. That said, I am a fully fledged Jane of all trades, rather than a perfectionist.

Maria.

June17/07/2014 07:38:11
335 forum posts
55 photos

Hi there,

have a peek at Mickey Dupre's work. Her pieced hexies are truly marvellous

**LINK**

June

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues