Janet M27/07/2009 23:19:09
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
The mind boggles!!
Jytte28/07/2009 13:01:09
391 forum posts
59 photos
Just remembered - reading Janet's sad story - that I started off some time in the beginning of the 70's on making a hexagon quilt. I must say that at that point I didn't like paper piecing very much - too impatient I guess. I had always used a sewing machine for all sorts of work . A friend persuaded me to try paper piecing. I got going, using some Laura Ashley fabrics I bought cheaply. I am sure some of it was furnishing fabric.!

But - I made them far too big, and realised after a few that it would not look nice making a quilt, so I used some of them to make some cushions. They were so ugly!!

I don't know what happened to the cushions as I gave them away and they are now gone.
But i realise I have two or three bits left somewhere. Maybe I will find them and have a look.

I still don't like paper piecing very much. At the moment I am struggling with making some miniature quilt samples for my course. Some of them have to be paper piecing. 
 Jytte

Francoise Vrabel07/09/2009 09:37:05
126 forum posts
22 photos
I've just finished this small wallhanging inspired by the hydrangeas in my garden last year.
Years ago I made a bag from haxagons, arranged in light and dark stripes, but dont have it any more.
Like many of us, I started in the early 70s, paper piecing hexagons from Laura Ashley fabrics, making cushions for Xmas presents. Eventually I made a bed cover, not quilted, just backed with calico which shrank when washed, and said never again! I started again about 15 years ago, by machine.
Francoise

Irene B07/09/2009 10:11:23
4433 forum posts
405 photos
Lovely wallhanging Francoise.  I like the soft colours.
Irene B
Kay A15/07/2014 20:46:07
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

I've just found this really old thread when I did a search for hexagons, as I've been thinking about trying them & making a scrap quilt. After reading all of the stories where people have added to them over the course of years & used old clothes which have held sentimental value I am completely in love with the idea!

As someone who is still new to patchwork I am now starting to understand how people end up with so many UFOs x

Anyone got any advice on the size of the hexagons? I was thinking 2" would be big enough to see the fabric pattern but not too big.

Alison16/07/2014 10:01:37
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Hi KayKay,

Be careful starting on this it is addictive!

You need to consider what size scraps you have, hexagons with sides of 2" will need scraps of about 4 1/2" square, this seems a big scrap to me, but then I'm the idiot who uses hexagons with 1/4" sides needing only 1" square scraps. I can't remember what size I used when I started, too many years ago, really it's up to personal preference and as I said the size of scraps you want/have to use.

2" sides need 4 1/2" square
1 1/2" sides need 3 1/2" square
1" sides need 2 3/4" square

These are just rough amounts rounded up to the nearest 1/4".

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please ask.

Alison.

Margaret S16/07/2014 10:37:02
4022 forum posts
756 photos

Hi KayKay

I am no expert but I am working on some samples with 1 1/2" sides and I would say that they are plenty big enough for a beginner. Like Alison says, and she is the expert, 2" seems too big.

I have used my Sizzix to cut out the 1 1/2" hexagon paper templates.

Margaret

Kay A16/07/2014 10:53:13
555 forum posts
37 photos
1 articles

4 1/2" seems like a big scrap to me too, I didn't realise it would need to be so big. I was thinking 2" tall, I don't know how long that makes the sides, I think that maths is beyond me

1/4" sides? Wow! I think that would send me cross eyed, but I bet the finished quilts look spectacular

i don't have a Sizzix machine, so I was wondering how everyone made sure that their hexagons were cut perfectly. I was thinking about buying some to start with, I've seen them for sale on eBay.

I was thinking that hexagons might be the perfect project to keep in my handbag as I think I'm about to enter the phase of life where I'm waiting around for kids. Whether it be outside school, or just in the car to make sure a little person has a decent length nap

Sylverine16/07/2014 11:37:02
2 forum posts

Hi Kay Kay

1 1/4" is the best size for me - my first quilt was in hexagons that size. I bought a template which gave me a metal hexagon template for the papers and a plastic see through one for the material. I just drew round them and then cut out, They fit in a zip lock bag nicely and easy to pop in your handbag as you say.

I make loads of cat mats now as they are an easier size to work on and don't take too long to make - around 23" x 18" in size.

I can't work out how to get a picture on here, but here is a link to my Facebook page which if you scroll down to the bottom of the photos you can see some examples of the cat mats.

https://www.facebook.com/Sylveryne/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Have fun with it.

XJ

Irene B16/07/2014 12:47:34
4433 forum posts
405 photos

KayKay, this might be helpful - free templates and also here

Irene rose

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues