Hexagon help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brenda in OZ23/07/2009 09:58:25
508 forum posts
162 photos
33 articles

Hi Jayne, 

We have a national quilt register in Australia with many old quilts (pre 1970) listed, often with a photograph. 

You will fine some hexagon quilts at this site.

http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/treeresults.php?pcat=2&scat=4&tcat=5

If you have a problem then you can surf in from their home page

http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/

Another interesting page is

http://www.lizardofoz.com.au/Layouts/h.htm

This gives a host of different layouts for the pieces, you might be interested to see if you can find some you hadn’t thought of.
This is a hexagon quilt with a story - I'll keep you posted.

It’s evening here so we shall be off to bed in a few hours but I will do some more digging tomorrow and send you a private message.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

Janet M24/07/2009 01:05:50
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hi Jayne and Brenda,

It went in the bin. Off to the tip in a big lorry. I was so disgusted with the way I had made it, after the 1/4" lecture I was ashamed of it.

NOW of course, I grieve for it.

Janet

Sad end so you wont want to bother with it now. I bet you thought there was going to be a quilt here didn't you????  Just shows the impact that teacher had on me.
Jayne McWatt24/07/2009 14:46:36
5 forum posts
5 photos
Oh Janet what a shame - no I'd love to use it (if you are willing) just as an example of why NOT to give up, just put to one side and go back to it when you are ready.

X Jayne
Ros24/07/2009 14:51:18
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Hi Jayne,
I have a hexagon quilt tucked away in a cupboard.  I started mine as a Girl Guide in the early 1970s when we were shown how to make little paper hexagons and how to stitch them together into a flower.  The rest of it was just done by guesswork and took another 13 years to complete.  It contains remnants of all the sewing projects I started in my teens.  It grew, and grew and grew until I became a king size quilt.  I backed it with a sheet but didn't add wadding as I didn't know that existed at the time.  It's still in pristine condition, I don't think I ever got around to using it!
Ros

Jayne McWatt24/07/2009 15:03:05
5 forum posts
5 photos
That is dedication indeed - I thought my five years on my first quilt was a long time, but thirteen definitely becomes a labour of love! Do you have a picture as well Ros?

X Jayne
Janet M25/07/2009 01:30:40
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hi Jayne,
help yourself, maybe others could heed the message, .....don't be too hasty!
Janet
Ros25/07/2009 11:10:02
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Hi Jayne,
I've managed to find the quilt at the back of the airing cupboard under all the bedlinen.  I will get my family to help me photograph it a bit later on (when they surface).
Also you might like this link to a hexagon project some of the ladies on this forum have been involved with earlier in the year.

Ros27/07/2009 12:29:30
1040 forum posts
185 photos

Jayne, Here is my hexagon quilt.  You can see why it took so long - it is huge!

(My son and daughter are holding the quilt).

Edited By Ros on 27/07/2009 12:30:31

Janet M27/07/2009 22:46:03
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Good grief Ros, how big are the beds in your house!!!!!!
Ros27/07/2009 23:13:40
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Jan,
I don't think I ever measured the size - I just kept on going until it fitted the size of the sheet I bought for backing! 
Ros

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues