By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hexagon help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jayne McWatt22/07/2009 09:03:57
5 forum posts
5 photos

Hi, my name is Jayne McWatt. I am currently researching the history of the hexagon as it is used within the quilting/patchwork world and collecting various patterns for this shape. I’m in the process of putting together an e-book and am hoping for some help.

I am looking for people to send me their experiences in this area, how they have worked with hexagons, any stories of the shape used within patchwork in their families, any patterns people may be willing to share with fellow quilters/patchworkers and any photos people would be happy to have published.

If I use the content I will of course inform you and give acknowledgement for where the information/pattern has come from as well as a copy of the finished e-book.

Please private message me with your details if you wish to be included. You will not only get credit, but will also be helping others to try out this fascinating craft.

Many thanks in advance
kind regards
Jayne
Fiona22/07/2009 09:22:26
3131 forum posts
482 photos
This isn't my field of interest per se Jayne, but please let us know when you publish!
Jytte22/07/2009 10:50:30
391 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Jayne
As part of a C&G course(diploma level III in design and craft - patchwork and quilting) we have to write a piece of quilting history. I am Danish, so decided to do this on the history of patchwork and quilting in Denmark. Only to discover that there is very little written about this. I am going to Denmark in Sept/Oct to do some serious research. I have however found a book written by an amateur. it is very interesting, and there is a section about hexagons. There is information about different quilts and other items made using lots of patterns, but the oldest using hexagons is in a museum in Jutland where I will be going. The quilt is from 1789, although there is a twist to this.
Would you be further interested in this? There are implications re publishing rights etc I suppose, but maybe if you are interested, something could be sorted. Let me know.
Jytte
Jayne McWatt22/07/2009 11:27:26
5 forum posts
5 photos
This kind of thing sounds perfect Jytte. There is no reason why the book you mentioned cannot be quoted as long as it is acknowledged. Do you mind telling me the title?
And if you find out anything else when you go to Denmark I would be most interested to know, if you care to pass it on.
Thank you for your trouble.
kind regards
Jayne
Jytte22/07/2009 19:11:58
391 forum posts
59 photos
Hi Jayne
I will be very happy to pass on anything I find out in Denmark. I will be back on the 3 October. I am taking my laptop, so will  be able to keep in touch. Not sure the book will be any good to you as such, it is in Danish. It is only available from a few shops in Denmark or from the author herself. She is not on the internet, and I only got hold of it because I called her and she sent it to my sister (in Denmark), who then got it to me via a family member who was coming to London.

I can get in touch with the author and talk to her, and if she is ok with it all, I can translate anything you would be interested in. I need to talk to her anyway because I would be interested in working with her as she states in the book that she has more info/photos which did not get into the book, and she might be interested to use what I might find to publish another book.
Jytte

Janet M22/07/2009 22:58:02
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Many, many years ago, I started a Hexagon Quilt, I cut out large hexagon shapes, then cut the paper shapes, hohoho from cereal card. They took an age to stitch round, didn't know about the other way in those days of how to stitch not going through the card!!!

Anyway, this was added to for several years and I mean several, this was from my teens, lots of my dresses and stuff, school uniform etc, to getting married, wedding dress scraps and going away outfit scraps, to having my two girls, lots of my maternity dress bits and their little dresses etc, this was to be a real memory quilt.

This was,  as you can imagine, VERY heavy.

Anyway, to cut a long story short---too late-- I went to evening classes to learn how to do patchwork, the hexagon quilt was in the roof at this time as I had become bored with it. At the class we were taught about the 1/4" seam and how important it was. Hmmmm!!!

When I got home I got hubby to get the hexagon quilt   -  which was now almost at double bed size,  -- down from the roof, and guess what happened next.........
Brenda in OZ22/07/2009 23:29:53
505 forum posts
161 photos
33 articles
Hi Jytte,

Such a broad subject! You could write volumes!

I am in Australia where the hexagon is still very much alive.
Are you covering the history or present day use?

The craft was brought over by the convicts who made hexagons on their journey over here more than 200 years ago.

I can point you to some links if you would like that.

I have a hexagon quilt that I strated more than 30 years ago - it's almost finished!

Brenda in OZ
Brenda in OZ23/07/2009 03:24:53
505 forum posts
161 photos
33 articles
Hi Janet,

What did happen next?  ..........I'm intrigued!

Brenda in OZ
Jayne McWatt23/07/2009 08:31:15
5 forum posts
5 photos
Links would be great Brenda. I'm looking for general history and then human stories of the hexagon and how it has shaped people's lives. People often don't realise what a large part such things play in their lives. For example my first ever quilt started out as experimenting with the hexagon (average size 1.25" sides). A mish mash central hexagon grew with 'flowers' in it and I really didn't know what to do with it, so put it away for a couple of years. Then a book showed me a picture of a traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern and I then started to shape the quilt to fit into that. In the end it worked quite well. During that time I became pregnant and had my son and in his early months we lived in a very isolated part of Cornwall. This quilt became my life saver in that it occupied me for hours. The materials came from a vast range of clothes, jumble sales, bargain ends etc. In all it took me five years and my son was nearly 18 months old by the time it was finished! All hand sewn except the backing. I never did finish quilting it as it has a 4oz wadding and is quite heavy to sew through! But it is used regularly now as a lightweight summer quilt with a cotton sheet.

Janet - please finish the story!! And can I use it? Just what I'm after. A photo would be good.
Thanks to everyone, keep 'em coming.
X Jayne
Marian T23/07/2009 09:26:28
4504 forum posts
466 photos
7 articles
Hi Jayne
As my first ever patchwork quilt, in 1981, I decided to make a hexagon design for my dad. (see photos below). The fabrics were in scrap bags from a little fabric store in Liverpool. The centre was pieced by hand and I enjoyed doing this when my young children were in bed. However, after piecing a good portion of it, my dad had a stroke and very sadly died in May the following year, I just couldn't face doing it anymore and put it away. Some months later, I decided to finish it for my mum, and worked on it a lot, but time was getting away from me so I resorted to machine piecing instead. By the following New Year, my mum was diagnosed with cancer with only a few months left. I finished the quilt for her and she had it on her bed at home when she passed in May, one year after dad.
The only keepsake I wanted from their home was the quilt and everyone agreed that I should take it as I'd made it. I still have the quilt, though the colours have faded from the original photos, but wouldn't give it away as it holds many memories for me. It amazes me how so many memories can be contained in pieces of fabric, and what a powerful reminder of days past, events, feelings...both happy and sad...and what a comfort, that a quilt can be. The quilt evokes vivid memories of the people and the time, much more than photographs do for me. I've never made a hexagon quilt since.
Marian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues