By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Peter's Photo Tips

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Photographing Patchwork - Common Mistakes

Photographing Patchwork - Common Mistakes

The second part of Peter's helpful series, teaching us to get the most out of photographing our work. Text and Photographs copyright Peter Dean.

Ros13/07/2009 14:42:28
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Peter,
Thank you for the very useful article just published.  A lot to remember but very clearly explained. 
I have started photographing my work outdoors on a cloudy day and found I get better pictures than indoors.  Colours are more even and less chance of burn-out.  I have been experimenting with interesting backgrounds, like a stone wall or shrubbery so it doesn''t distract too much.
I love your photo trickery - I would never have guessed there were three photos in one!!
Ros
Fiona13/07/2009 16:57:26
3115 forum posts
465 photos
I agree Ros! Peter's article is very clear - i just need to remember all the tips. We have a new camera and I'm just finding out what it can do but it seems to pick up details I haven't noticed in real-life so could be interesting.
Thanks, Peter!
Janet M13/07/2009 23:17:52
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Here here, thanks Peter, I am printing these out as you do them, that is the only way I will remember the written word. So much information that is brilliant, I do appreciate what you are doing for us.
Janet x
Brenda in OZ14/07/2009 01:54:59
490 forum posts
159 photos
33 articles
Hi Ros,

If you want some ideas for out door shots go to quiltersinternational.co.uk where there are a couple of them. Whilst you are there try to work ot how I took the "Flag" photograph

Cheers

Peter
Ros14/07/2009 07:18:21
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Hi Brenda,
Wow, that's clever!  Was the quilt draped over some stairs and then layered with the sky background?!!  You're good!!
Ros

Brenda in OZ14/07/2009 08:37:02
490 forum posts
159 photos
33 articles
Hi Ros

It's still Peter in drag!!!

You have the right idea - but not quite.

Can we leave the answer for 24 hours to give others a chance. In the meantime if anyone guesses before then I'll let them know privately

Seriously though - my skills do not compare with some of you quilters. If you doubt that wait for the article about Gloria Loughman... she is both a wonderfully considerate person & a fantastic quilt artist. Brenda & I were lucky enough to spend time with her at her home recently.

Cheers

Peter
Ros14/07/2009 08:51:06
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Peter,
I realised after I posted the comment that stairs would not be good as there is the bannister rail in the way, so perhaps some stone steps going up to a cathedral or other old building?  Or maybe Brenda has a lot of quilting books which you used to build a monster construction!
Am I getting warmer?
Ros

Janet M14/07/2009 10:09:50
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hi Peter and Ros,
Hmm, could it be quilts rolled up and the Flag laid on top, then sky manipulated??
Jan
Brenda in OZ14/07/2009 10:28:23
490 forum posts
159 photos
33 articles
First Ros

This is Australia - we don't have old buildings!

Jan - Interesting idea - you are both on the right track.

A clue - the flag pole was a hanging rod photographed on my lounge carpet so it is definitely a composite picture.

Peter
Janet M14/07/2009 23:31:26
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hi Peter and Brenda

Ermmmm a roll of wadding or several rolls of wadding

Jan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
SewAndSo
Sarik
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues