By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Margaret Goodson05/11/2008 17:25:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Jenny,

Not boring at all - I'm loving this thread and your reply made me smile thinking of the red gingham knickers    They would've matched my cookery hat and apron.  

I think the schools must have gone through thousands of bolts of red gingham!

Cath05/11/2008 17:37:00
871 forum posts
195 photos

It's not boring at all Jenny, I just think it's really fascinating to see how things change over the years. Maybe this generation of youngsters will be discussing the computers they use in schools now.

I work in a Special School, and there is a lot of emphasis on learning using modern technology. Even the art lessons incorporate photo shop, and animation.......all so different from the way we explored art in our day!! I do try to encourage some youngsters to experiment a bit with textiles, and we do have a couple of electric sewing machines. I have to laugh though, because the boys just want to "put their foot down" so to speak, and see how fast the machine can go.....as if they're driving a formula one racing car. The girls, (we only have three in our school at present) show a bit more interest, but again, apart from experimenting with the different stitches, and maybe making a cushion cover or something decorative, have no enthusiasm for clothes-making. Their excuse is that it would take too long, again, a sympton maybe of our growing culture for fast results. Oh well, all we can do is keep trying eh?

Tessa05/11/2008 19:50:00
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Evening Jenny,

I reiterate what the others are saying....'Boring'   NOT..  the chat this afternoon has brought back some memories with quite a few of us.  My first sewing project was a gym bag to carry my gym clothes and runners.  I still have it....somewhere?  Then there was the project using that needlework fabric that I spoke of earlier....made an apron and gave it to my much older sister in law....never to be seen again....

That was my first year of sewing in school (I was 11)....1966, but my mum had actually been teaching me on her old singer when I was younger than that.  She passed away in 2003 and to this day I don't know what happened to her old singer...it was electric and always ran like a dream.  Maybe I had best contact my brothers over that dilema.

We have a lot of teens in the shop that are taking textile courses in school, and most of them are making long dresses from shiny fabrics.  I think it has something to do with having that all important dress when prom night comes. 

We also sell a lot of gingham, but I don't think it has anything to do with frilly knickers or aprons. 

I was very pleased when my daughter asked me to teach her a bit about quilting about 8 years ago.  She's still at it at 33 years of age....and I'm also hoping she'll log on to this website soon from Canada. 

Well, back to the trousers...almost done. 

Tessa  

Margaret Goodson05/11/2008 21:16:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Tessa,

My daughter is 34 and is only now starting to take an interest in sewing.  All the years I sewed for her and her brother when they were little and she took not a bit of interest.

These days my daughter and my little grand daughter are big into ice skating so my daughter wants to make costumes.  Imagine my horror when they came out here in August and daughter presented me with yards and yards of hideous green poly cotton with the cry to help her make six adult male leprechaun tunics!!!!!!  No pattern or anything!  Not only that but there were six child ice skating skirts to make from a sequinned fabric that my sewing machine hated.

Since my daughter had no clue how to sew guess who ended up doing most of the work but I did make her help me.  She has since signed up for a dressmaking course at the local college.  She had tried to go last year but the course was cancelled for lack of interest.

Was the sewing machine you had a Singer Featherweight?  My mum had one and it was a little dream machine that would go over the bulkiest of seams.  I think they are much sought after on eBay these days.  I don't know what happened to the one my mum had and I still mourn the loss of it.

Well, I have rambled on today but it has been fun hearing all the stories.

Tessa05/11/2008 21:31:00
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Oh Margaret,

You must have been dreaming leprechauns in your sleep......  I think my biggest task to date was making the 3 bridesmaid dresses for my daughters wedding in 1998,  Satin backed crepe...a real stinker for fraying.  Thank Heavens my friend had a serger and did all the seams for me first.  They did look lovely in the end though.

My mums old Singer was a heavy tank of a thing.  No one would ever nick it....it would take two men to carry it out of the house....  The old one I have now is older than mums, but not so heavy as there is no motor.  I need a shuttle and a slide plate for it though.  That will be a challenge in itself. 

I've made a huge mistake on the trousers I'm making....measured the length of the leg allowing for a 1 inch hem.  Measured again after cutting and found I had done something wrong.  Legs are the right length but still no hem.....aaaahhhhh!!!   I'm going back to my quilting tomorrow. 

Time for a cuppa......

Margaret Goodson05/11/2008 21:41:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

Tess I feel your pain!  What's that saying for quilters.........................measure twice cut once.

Seems appropriate for any kind of sewing.  Looks as though you'll be adding a false hem to the new trousers.  It's so easy to get distracted isn't it?

Tessa05/11/2008 21:47:00
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

No fibbing Margaret,

I think I must have measured at least 6 million times....but it still went upside down and sideways.  I've spent all day on these blasted things....now I feel like they would be great for digging in the garden. 

I'll put them aside till tomorrow ....  things may look a little less bleak.... Now where's that kettle ?

Tessa

Janet M06/11/2008 00:28:00
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles

Oh dear Tessa, what a pain.

Is it possible to insert a strip of something midway between knee and ankle??

janet mce 

Tessa06/11/2008 14:23:00
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Morning ladies,

Well, with regards to these silly pants.... got some cotton tape from the shop this morning and will try a false hem....and do whatever else I can to bring the legs down a bit....maybe a wider waist band....I don't know...I'll let you know whether it's 'wear them to work' or 'raking up the leaves' with them. 

Wahoo...it's Postcard swap time of the month..

Tessa

Margaret Goodson06/11/2008 17:01:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

I hope you've had a better day today Tessa and that you can somehow salvage the trousers to be able to wear them to work.

If you have fabric left over perhaps you could thing about turn ups?  That would give you some extra length .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Sarik
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues