By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Margaret Goodson01/11/2008 09:08:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

I bet the people that made doll quilts way back when didn't press too much. 

Maybe just finger pressing the seams would work?

Katy01/11/2008 10:06:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
I'm sure it ought to, but I felt it needed a bit more. I was just trying stuff out really and I found the fiddliness a bit frustrating!
Jenny B02/11/2008 17:21:00
80 forum posts
65 photos
 I was very interested to read the letters about hexagons. for years this was all I knew. Way back in the dim dark past (about1944actually )I was at a small country school and the war was on Our teacher asked us to ask our parents for old dresses etc . she carefully cut them up and the result was a lovely pile of fabric and this is where my addiction started. She showed us how to make hexegons A good maths lesson and one of the few I remember .We  used old papers of any kind and spent hours covering them Then the war ended and I moved to another school. I often wonder what happened to those hexegons Did they ever become a quilt?  What a shame todays children do not have the same devoted teachers . Jenny b
Margaret Goodson02/11/2008 18:52:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

What lovely memories Jenny!

I was born right at the very end of the war  but we were still taught to knit and sew in school.  I wasn't lucky enough to make any hexagons but I do remember making a dirndl skirt in junior school and knitting slippers as well

Brenda in OZ05/11/2008 08:10:00
483 forum posts
157 photos
33 articles

Sewing at school!

I went to schools at the end of the war and remember using hessian and wool to make things. Did anyone else use the awful stuff?

We progressed to gingham and cross stitch to make napkins. Maybe that's why I love patchwork! All those squares.

The only sewing machines they had were the old singer hand cranked with the bullet bobbin case. The singer 12K was the best because it didn't tangle if you turned the hand wheel the wrong way.

Brenda in OZ

Tessa05/11/2008 12:02:00
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles

Morning Brenda

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine was going to throw her old singer machine into the bin....it was the old hand crank ones....I almost cried...I wouldn't let her....so now it sits on my little sideboard in my dining room with a place of honor.  Such a treasure really. 

Just to go back in time....my sewing teachers over three years at the ages of 11, 12 & 13 all influenced me and my love of sewing today.  We created things at school that we could use and wear, necessities and such....really put the young girls that were interested on the right track.  I know it has done me well over the years. 

There was a form of needlework that I also tried when I was 11, (that was 43 years ago, the reason I can't remember what it was called)...  white cotton fabric, little tiny loops in tight rows and we used to take embroidery silks and weave the colours up and down and all around to make patterns.  ANY ONE KNOW WHAT IN HEAVENS NAME I'M TALKING ABOUT........ I'm having a major brain fart today.  !!

Well, back to the sewing table...making a pair of dress trousers for work....have a lovely day ladies.

Tessa

Margaret Goodson05/11/2008 12:17:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

I remember sewing on gingham at school!  We had to make our cookery caps and aprons.  They both had ginham trim and the caps had our names on them in cross stitch.

We took our ingredients for the home ecs. lesson in tomato baskets and we also made a kind of tray cloth out of the gingham to keep everything covered on the way to and from school.

Not that there was much left on the way back from school as the boys always wanted to sample whatever we had been cooking that day

I bought one of those hand crank Singers on eBay and was disappointed that the take up spring thing was snapped off so it doesn't sew properly.  Mine too will become an ornament.  When i have time (I don't see this being anytime soon) I will make a rag doll and a miniature doll quilt to sit next to the machine.

Cath05/11/2008 13:52:00
871 forum posts
195 photos

While I was still at primary school in the late 50's, we had a wonderful headmistress who really encouraged us girls with sewing and knitting. We started off with gingham tray cloths too, and during my last year I made a simple skirt and edge to edge jacket! I can still remember it well, it was a loose weave, cream coloured fabric, with a gold colour trim all round the edge of the jacket.....very Coco Chanel, or so I thought at the time!!

We had the old foot treadle machines, and I can remember they were fine as long as you didn't go too fast and lose the rythm. I f that happened, they would start to go backwards, and then the thread would get all knotted up.

These days, I don't think schools would even think about making clothes until secondary level, if at all! Maybe I could be proved wrong though.

Alison05/11/2008 16:10:00
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

I didn't do any sewing at primary school, possibly because I had a male teacher for my last two years, but Mum taught me how to use her hand cranked Singer machine and I was allowed to use that under supervision.

When I started at secondary school we all had to do needlework. The school had hand cranked machines and a few electric machines and I remember the teacher, who will remain nameless, telling the timid ones of us- including me- not to be frightened of the electric machines as it was just like driving a car. Now I understand what she meant, but at 11 it scared me witless, and I refused to use the "cars" preferring to stick with the hand cranked machines I knew, and could use safely. We started by making a cookery apron, when this was made to the teacher's satisfaction we could make anything we wanted to. I don't remember what else I made, but I do know I never wore any of it!

When my daughter was at infant school, 10 years ago, (I can't believe it's really that long ago) they had a professional clothes designer come in to show them how to design and make their own clothes, All the children in my daughter's class designed and made an item of clothing with help from this lady. The school was given a sewing machine and material from the end of bolts to use and a lot of very imaginative clothing was made. The same lady came in the following year and the children had to use an old item of clothing to make something new, at the end of the year they held a fashion show with the children modeling what they had made. I don't think it continued for long, due to lack of funds for the professional help, and lack of parents to supervise the children on the machine.

Jenny B05/11/2008 16:42:00
80 forum posts
65 photos

What a lot of memories are evoked by this chat line, I remember the first garment I  made was a pair of knickers in red  check which were part of the school uniform Imagine the uproar today if you asked eleven year old girls to wear such a thing.  They even had a pocket for your handki.  For gym we had to wear navy knickers and white vests and to do gym in the school playground. I went to a grammerschool which was better supplied than modernschools and we had electric machines that were bang up to date I would dearly have loved one of my own but it was not until I had a home of my own that I had one A jones hand machine on which I made all my familys clothes even husbands trousers   My first electric machine was when I had my first grandchild and made dresses etc fo her, Now today she came to borrow my machine to make her own. Happy memories. sorry if they bore you  Jenny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Sarik
Search Press
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues