By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sylvia12/01/2022 13:44:48
2222 forum posts
376 photos

Gosh those heirloom pieces are lovely but not something I could imagine doing these days. I can't give up but really only do occasional sewing. Although I am up here now to finish the binding on the last piece from my Cosi weekend in November.

Do hope you are improving every day Rosemary. Sending love and hugs xxxx

rosemary Rosenfeld15/01/2022 09:19:44
5940 forum posts
1744 photos
13 articles

Thanks Sylvia...I am feeling a bit better now!

A quick question for you all...I have been asked for suggestions by the owner of a local haberdashery who is beginning to sell fabric and possibly moving towards quilting.....

What would you suggest that she might stock? Scissors ✂ obviously...but what do you consider to be essentials...or maybe just simple things that make it easy?

Best Rosemary x

Winnie the B.O.L.B15/01/2022 09:49:20
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Hi Rosemary - maybe obvious but -

For me, the following are essentials

Rotary cutters, blades, rulers and cutting mats - check that cutters are suitable for left as well as right-handed users.

Unfortunately - unpickers.

GLASS headed pins

Erasable fabric markers - I prefer the heat erasable kind but perhaps you can advise her on that.

VERY useful -

Thread snips

Small 6" x !" ruler for checking 1/4" seam allowance

COTTON thread

I know there a dozens f other things but I've just noted my thoughts.

Margaret/Winnie

Sylvia15/01/2022 10:01:07
2222 forum posts
376 photos

Good list Winnie. That should get her going.

Maybe a few books and magazines?

Sylvia15/01/2022 10:02:29
2222 forum posts
376 photos

Perhaps post above is TOO old fashionedwink Do you all think that anyone starting out now would buy books or just find videos online?

Eileen Foster15/01/2022 12:16:59
713 forum posts
363 photos

Simple block patterns pre cut/packed just to get them sewing.

Equipment in addition to the list already suggested :a basic sewing machine assuming they have never done it before.

I think books are still worth while as not every youngster/or retiree uses You tube.

Margaret S15/01/2022 13:42:10
4045 forum posts
766 photos

I wouldn't bother too much with books. I do still buy the occasional book, but online. Even from the big book sellers they are cheaper online than small shops can offer them for.

Father Christmas gave me a 24 1/2" x 8 1/2" ruler. It will be so much more useful than my 6 1/2" wide one. I also like a square ruler. An 'add a 1/4" ' ruler is useful too. Think this is what Winnie means but I prefer a 12" one.

I don't like fabric markers. I prefer a hera marker or 1/4" quilters' masking tape.

Eileen's suggestion of simple kits is a good one. Also useful to have samples in the shop.

Margaret

On another note - I received an email this week to say that Hochanda the parent company of The Craft Store has bought Create and Craft.

Margaret S15/01/2022 13:46:32
4045 forum posts
766 photos

I forgot my new toy - the fabric glue pen!

Margaret

Winnie the B.O.L.B15/01/2022 21:02:18
3367 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Like Margaret S, I think books from a shop are not such a likely purchase these days as they are much cheaper on-line.

I did actually mean a wee 6" x 1" clear ruler - a mini "cutting" one - I just keep it beside my machine and use it to check that my s/a is a 1/4" if I'm in any doubt. I don't use it for cutting as it is too small for safety, leaving fingers too near to blades!!! I never thought of using the "add-a-1/4" rulers to do that at the machine. Must give that a try.

How about Spray Baste as I find that most new quilters - and old ones too!! - are very nervous about layering up their completed tops - hence the shelves/drawers full of UFO unquilted tops!!

Glue pen sounds great Margaret. I agree about the 241/2" x 81/2" ruler - that extra 21/2' make sit that wee bit more flexible. Santa gave me one last year too.

Love

Winne xx

Reenie15/01/2022 23:18:02
1085 forum posts
159 photos

Hello Rosemary - hope you get back to your old self soon!
There are little clips you can get now that hold your ‘sandwich’ together. Bobbin clips and thread nets to stop your thread from unravelling. Different types of interfacing and the little mini iron especially useful for appliqué. Pom Pom makers, bias tape makers and finger and thumb protectors are also useful. Fusible bias tape used for stained glass windows. Small hanging frames, embroidery hoops and weighted cord used to weigh down hems for wall hangings. Probably got a magnetic pin holder already. Cord for making baskets using scraps. Quilting pins or staples for getting the ‘sandwich’ together.Heat and Bond stuff as well as wadding. There are always lovely buttons and little bags of embroidered flowers and animals at quilt shows. Memory bear patterns and other soft creations… thinking of the lovely stuff you have made in the past (Holly and Ruby). Little pin cushion packs, table mats, mug rug packs to get people started. That’s all I can think to add just now!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners