By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Reenie07/01/2021 10:43:30
1062 forum posts
154 photos

Happy New Year, everyone! xx

We have snow for the first time today, lots of lovely scenes to look at.

Best wishes

Reenie

Margaret S18/02/2021 09:35:09
4027 forum posts
759 photos

I have ordered myself a new toy! The Grace Company are introducing the Cutie, a tabletop quilting frame. It's 4'ft wide and when you have finished with it, you can put it away in a cupboard or under a bed. It's a 'considered purchase' but much cheaper than the 1000s you would pay for the conventional long armers. It's on introductory special at the moment and stock is expected to arrive end of Feb beginning of March, so fingers crossed.

I plan to use my Janome 7700 with it, but yesterday the lady I spoke to at JB Sewing said that they had set it up with a normal domestic sewing machine. Obviously the quilting area would be smaller, the space to the right of the needle, but it was interesting to know. I am hoping that my fmq skills might improve!

Margaret

Eileen Foster18/02/2021 10:11:48
640 forum posts
338 photos

I'd be interested in seeing how you get on with it. I'd love to have a long arm but don't have the space. this might just be the answer.

rosemary Rosenfeld18/02/2021 11:35:48
5895 forum posts
1722 photos
13 articles

That sounds exciting! Rosemary x

Winnie the B.O.L.B18/02/2021 12:58:49
3353 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Like Eileen and Rosemary, that sounds really great - I have often wished a long arm was a possibility for me but the current ones no matter how "small" were just not practical for me. However, the one Margaret S is talking about sounds feasible so any further info would be very welcome.

Thanks Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld27/02/2021 12:18:01
5895 forum posts
1722 photos
13 articles

Good morning all...a friend in the village is thinking of buying an overlocker...and asked for any advice...which I can't give...but I said I would ask around..so here I am! Does anyone have one and can offer any suggestions?

Stay safe,Rosemary xx

Eileen Foster27/02/2021 12:28:56
640 forum posts
338 photos

I have a Jones or it may be a Brother one with 4 spools / threads. I have had it for over 25yrs now and it has been a delight to use. A 4 spool one does a more professional job than a 3 spool one but if it is just for domestic dress making etc then a 3 spool will be more than adequate. If its for soft furnishings /curtains or a more professional dressmaking service then go for a 4 spool one.

my advice is to buy the best make you can afford. Apart from replacing needles when I make / start a new project it has been well worth the £300 I paid for it. I remember thinking at the time that I could get one for about £175 but it felt flimsy. This one is quite heavy and is very quiet in use.

don't know what they currently cost though.

Fiona28/02/2021 12:58:23
3134 forum posts
486 photos

Congratulations Rosemary - I picked up the latest magazine & like your new published pattern! 💐

I don't seem to be achieving much atm quilting wise. Lots of block of the month style and sock knitting but nothing to show & tell. The big quilt group I belong to is still aiming for July for our postponed show do I really need to at least produce items for the challenges and something for the tombola but desire is at a low. (Although I am thinking of pruning my book shelves for the sales table!) I have just bought some acrylic circles to add to my ruler work collection but should make up some samples to test them all out - maybe I could make bags from those!

I have watched a few Zoom talks - all very interesting but definitely not the same as in person! The Quilters Guild has quite a few to choose from over the next few months (a bit more expensive for non-members) and I realised that on Saturday, I have one talk with my group then another straightforward with the Guild! 🙂

It's a lovely day here so I am off to sit outside with some knitting. Hoping you all have some sun too.

maria hewitt28/02/2021 13:45:29
988 forum posts
187 photos

Hello, I haven't posted for a while, (another trip to the hospital), now have sore back and shoulders after being immobilised. I did manage to get most of my fabrics sorted out. I now have boxes of bits ready for when freecycle re opens. I have cut out a couple of dresses ready to sew, but I can't lift my machine onto the table, so if I forget to ask before husband goes out that's it! I have been reading the Thursday murder club, by Richard osman. Very good, comfortable reading, but had to read the ending twice, as it got a bit complicated with the reveal, all those red herrings! Nevertheless I would thoroughly recommend it.

Ii have full intentions of making some bags to sell at the sailing club, as I've had so many compliments on bags I've had when I visit. We shall see, I have so many projects of all sorts to finish, U FO 's more like a galaxy! 😁

Maria.

rosemary Rosenfeld28/02/2021 14:26:17
5895 forum posts
1722 photos
13 articles

Thank you Eileen.....and lovely to hear from you Maria!

Take care and stay safe, Rosemary x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues