1051 forum posts
152 photos

Very nice, Sylvia!

Best wishes

Reenie

Eileen Foster03/09/2020 17:47:18
599 forum posts
329 photos

I love that garden scene through the gate to the mountains. It has a feel of a Monet about it doesn't it? you deserve to be delighted with it Sylvie.

Eileen x

rosemary Rosenfeld03/09/2020 18:38:39
5842 forum posts
1710 photos
13 articles

I remember this lovely piece ....we used it in a calendar a couple of years ago! Best Rosemary

Brenda in OZ05/09/2020 07:50:52
502 forum posts
161 photos
33 articles

Very nice Sylvia. Maria, I used this cheating technique many years ago in a club workshop. We used a commercial fusible interfacing that already had the lines marked in 2-inch squares. We arranged the squares on point which gives a slightly different look.

Getting fed up of lock down. I need a haircut !!!

Brenda in OZ

flower quilt email size.jpg

Fiona05/09/2020 09:47:01
3127 forum posts
479 photos

Ooh, I love those Brenda and Sylvia! I used that technique a while ago to make a doll's House Trip Around the World but a bit too fiddly at that size for me. We had Paula Doyle give a talk on it at Oast a few years back, after she published her book Mosaic Quilts. Useful for wallhangings & miniatures but even using today's ultra lightweight interfacing, I can't imagine using it in a quilt.

Sylvia, I cut my pieces at the same time as other things then used as leaders & enders a la Bonnie Hunter so didn't really take much time. The original idea I saw used 2.5" squares with just 36 per block. I've been looking at my I-spy fabrics and thinking that using even larger squares would be an easy result for fussy cutting something for Project Linus, but I need to quilt two small tops for that cause before I begin another one!

I'm actually getting through my UFO pile at a reasonable rate but I do keep getting new ideas! My current machine quilt is fast but very very boring to work on, hence the colour blocks. I actually came on here this morning to research a swap we did way back as I think I am missing a block and need to identify it. Then I can start cutting red fabrics alongside the "missing" block! 😋

Sylvia12/09/2020 11:28:31
2150 forum posts
358 photos

Have not seen it done on point before Brenda, like the effect.

I deliberately don't keep up with much world news. Are you still unable to go to a hairdresser Brenda? I was like that for a couple of months during which time my blonde colouring mostly grew out (I cut my short hair myself) and since then I have become "ash blonde" if one is being kind!!! Have now been for a professional trim twice.

My husband asked me to cut his hair and doesn't seem inclined to go back to his hairdresser. Hmm. a job for life.

Fiona I think I started to cut strips or squares from everything I was cutting ages ago. Fear they are now buried in my overflowing scraps drawer. I do sometimes think about just sewing bits together from said drawer and see what appears.

Unfortunately we don't have a Linus type organisation here as far as I know and my Palma group have not asked us to make quilts for the childrens' ward for a couple of years now. Note: I will ask the Mallorca Mallorca FB page if they know of anything.

Brenda in OZ13/09/2020 01:47:31
502 forum posts
161 photos
33 articles

Sylvia, you are so clever to cut your own hair! I tried that once and it looked like a dog's breakfast! I have to wait another four weeks at least.

We had a re-think about caring quilts at our club just before the lock down. We had a stack of beautiful large quilt tops which had been generously donated by members. The problem then was the quilting and finishing. It was decided that in future we would ask members to make "quilt as you go" for larger quilts.

We also had a member who had a very premature grandchild in a humi crib. She made a quilt to cover the crib to keep out the bright light and the noise and the baby was much more settled. This was the beginning of our latest project to make these quilts 20 x 36 inches with a dark backing to cover the cribs and the parents take the quilt home with them when the baby leaves hospital.

This is my latest effort. Three odd blocks from the club stash and lots of "I Spy" fabrics around the edge.

cribquilt1s.jpg

Sylvia13/09/2020 15:29:16
2150 forum posts
358 photos

What a wonderful project Brenda. I am sure those mothers will treasure their quilts.

Lol I have always snipped away at my hair between cuts! I do have a pair of those scissors with teeth which means big chunks never get cut out! Having short hair helps.

mandy22/09/2020 07:19:44
1067 forum posts
152 photos

Well after my last post way back in March I struggled to get onto the site, nearly threw the phone out of the window on numerous occasions but this morning finally got back....hurray.

I finally opened the doors to the shop on the 15th June when Boris said I could and it's been all go since, facebook and the website keep me busy so all is good on that part, fingers crossed it continues.

I've been doing a beginners patchwork class for a few weeks and they keep coming back so must be enjoying it, the first workshop took place on Saturday, although number are limited in the classes it's really good, just means I'm having to work longer hours to fit everyone in.

Hope everyone is keeping well and safe in these rather strange times.

Mandy

rosemary Rosenfeld22/09/2020 19:26:25
5842 forum posts
1710 photos
13 articles

I've forgotten...what do you call your shop Mandy? Best Rosemary x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
The Cotton Patch
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues