By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Winnie the B.O.L.B04/06/2020 16:41:47
3346 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

How right you are, Margaret - I won't quote any examples from this house - they are too numerous to mention!!!

Rosemary - I don't log on very often these days so this is the first time I have seen several of those gorgeous pieces of work. - they are absolutely beautiful - understatement of the year, in fact.

Winnie/Margaret xx

Margaret S18/06/2020 09:17:16
4000 forum posts
750 photos

I have bought a Sashiko applique kit. It uses 'Steam a Seam' as the fusible. Has anyone else used this and had better results than me? It's foul. It completely gummed up my scissors, makes my fingers dirty and sticky, and I have to clean the needle after very short amounts of stitching. It certainly doesn't allow me to do 'mindful' sewing. I usually use 'Bondaweb' or 'Mistyfuse' and don't have this problem. It may be repositionable, but I think in future I'll use what I know.

Margaret

Eileen Foster18/06/2020 11:19:29
591 forum posts
329 photos

Not heard of it before but that is so disappointing and frustrating for you. I will avoid it then.

Eileen x

Sylvia20/06/2020 15:53:54
2143 forum posts
358 photos

Can anyone suggest anything please? My trusty old Pfaff keeps breaking the top thread. I have tried changing the needle, changing tension, rethreading numerous times and checking that everything is running smoothly. Even changed where the thread is coming from. Don't think it's the thread it is very strong and won't break by hand.

Eileen Foster20/06/2020 17:32:14
591 forum posts
329 photos

when was the machine last cleaned? I found a friends had so much lint in the tension wheels it was affecting how it sewed.

Eileen x

Winnie the B.O.L.B20/06/2020 18:16:46
3346 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

I have to "admit" to being very careful about this - even more especially since I bought my present machine which is a kinda expensive Bernina! I clean it superficially - thread guides, bobbin case, throat plate etc, every week - more often when I am working with "fluffy" fabrics. I clean/oil (tiny amount) the whole thing including the innards, once a month.

It is incredible how much fluff and lint gathers in such a short space of time. I bought a can of "dust buster" spray when I bought my latest machine and it gets into the smallest of nooks and crannies and it is amazing how much blows out from even there.

I don't mean to sound superior about this in any way - I just have a bit of a thing about it.

Winnie/Margaret x

Marian C21/06/2020 10:01:56
59 forum posts
24 photos

It could be the thread. Twice this year I have used what looked like a good quality polyester thread, which is hard to break by hand, but it does not move freely through the top of the machine, and so breaks frequently. I changed to a branded thread (Coats moon thread) and the stitching was great again - I made no other changes to needle, tension etc. Marian

Sylvia21/06/2020 13:06:49
2143 forum posts
358 photos

Thanks ladies. I will do another clean although I did one a couple of weeks ago.

Will also try a different thread.

Will let you know.

Sylvia22/06/2020 16:06:06
2143 forum posts
358 photos

OK now having done both clean and changed top thread. Now I don't know which was the problem, but am happy it seems to be OK. Thanks ladies.

Winnie the B.O.L.B22/06/2020 18:42:02
3346 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Really pleased to hear it, Sylvia. Without our machines, we are no use to man nor beast!!!!

Winnie/Margaret xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
Janome
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues