By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster06/04/2020 12:43:41
591 forum posts
329 photos

Yes I knew that Rosemary as I have a Bargello wall hanging article due to be in it. It will be sadly missed during this troubled time. I will just have to keep going back over earlier issues to keep my spirits up.

As you know we have had to lift the floorboards to have an assessment for woodworm. It is worse than we thought. over 50% of the joists have gone too. they just crumble away when you touch them. & 75% of floorboards are affected too. Of course you cant get the timber anywhere to replace them. Not sure what we are going to do. The kitchen floor was at the point of collapse, so I am cooking on a camping stove outside as the cooker is now out in the garage for safe keeping. Fortunately the worm hasn't been into the units as they are MDF or some such composite wood.

Eileen

x

Winnie the B.O.L.B06/04/2020 12:58:48
3346 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Oh Eileen - how terrifying for you and your family. What a dreadful shock and worry for you all. I'm sure that you have already asked all the appropriate suppliers to get the negative answer you talk about but I do know that up here in Scotland suppliers/workmen who are undertaking "essential work" are allowed to both supply the materials and carry out the work if it is considered to be essential - for example, we were able to get someone out to try to get our washing machine repaired - that's a story for another day!! Surely a disaster such as yours would be considered "essential/emergency" especially as some construction companies are being allowed to continue to work.

I'll be thinking about you.

Winnie the BOLB/Margaret xx

Eileen Foster06/04/2020 14:11:43
591 forum posts
329 photos

Thanks Margaret. A few timber merchants are open but only will supply the trade. Hubby is competent and can do the work himself but isn't trade. We can get the house sprayed because that counts as essential. He spoke to several timber merchants this morning and whilst they are sympathetic they cant do anything to help us.

He is eyeing up the tanalised timber of my fruit cage, that may have to come down to do a temporary repair. Two of our friends have found a couple of 6ft lengths that will bridge a gap so we can walk from the house to the outside world. Good job we have a door out from the conservatory.

Glad you were able to get the washing machine repaired. I'll send you my washing as the joist mine sits on isn't safe anymore. I will have to teach my daughter the joys of hand washing clothes. She has been more than happy to wear the same cloths for 2 days running to help out. This was the girl who'd wear 2 or 3 outfits a day. Living by herself for a year last year certainly awakened the joy of housework and all it entailed. haha

Take care of yourself too

Eileen

x

Winnie the B.O.L.B06/04/2020 14:31:31
3346 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Sorry that the suppliers can't/won't(?) help - very frustrating as I can appreciate that having to pay a tradesman to do the work would make an already expensive job unbelievably expensive.

My washing machine is a long and boring saga - suffice to say that a firm tried to scam us for £260 plus VAT for a part that we eventually sourced for ourselves, direct from the manufacturer for the grand total of £49 including express delivery and which my hubby fitted himself in 5 mins!!!!!!

However, as I said, I now have a fully functioning washing machine which is not flooding the floor and is also taking in water where and when it should!! I would have been reduced to soucing a scrubbing board if it wasn't as, because we are completely self-isolating (age group plus my ill health), a new one could not have been delivered beyond the front door and no one in our circle of friends would have been allowed to help - and we live in an upper floor maisonette!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with whatever "solution" you can find in the meantime. Long may your daughter see "the wisdom" of cutting down on the wash load!!

Margaret xx

Margaret S07/04/2020 14:04:52
4000 forum posts
750 photos

So sorry for you Eileen. Why is it that things always go wrong at the most difficult times? Hope you soon manage to get it fixed and those woodworm get their come upance pdq! It's nice having floorboards, but I think those with solid floors don't have as many problems.

Winnie, may your washing machine continue to behave. The modern ones are so heavy and mine is not quite in the right place, but there is no way we have the strength to move it. Luckily it lives in the conservatory.

Stay safe everyone.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 07/04/2020 14:06:08

Reenie07/04/2020 16:16:06
1050 forum posts
152 photos

Oh Eileen, feel for you at this time! I suppose we should be thankful that no-one has been injured because of the woodworm. What a thing to happen. Does your insurance company offer any advice?
Thinking and praying for you at this time. hug 2

Best wishes

Reenie

Eileen Foster07/04/2020 19:54:34
591 forum posts
329 photos

you cant insure against wood worm apparently. I did ask about it several years ago. If the bath falls through the floor that is covered but not the replacement of the damaged wormy timbers. It is stupid I know.

Thanks for all the support it is appreciated. Eileen x

maria hewitt07/04/2020 20:15:28
973 forum posts
183 photos

I used to work in house insurance many moons ago, woodworm unfortunately comes under house maintenance, which is not covered, as you are expected to keep the property in good repair. Not much help if the darned creatures sneak up on you I'm afraid. Especially under carpets etc.

I hope you find a solution, do you have any local fb groups that might be able to rally round. You've probably done that already though.

Maria

Sylvia08/04/2020 08:19:59
2143 forum posts
358 photos

Oh my goodness Eileen what a disaster and at such a time. Thinking of you and sending every best wish (and hugs) xxxx

Eileen Foster08/04/2020 19:30:22
591 forum posts
329 photos

Yes Maria that is what we were told at the time we took the policy out. I did ask at the time how are you supposed to keep the 3mm beetles out of a property and she just laughed and said don't know but its not covered.

Well some good news any way. A mate of a mate is dropping off some floor joists and floorboards tomorrow. The woodworm guy said if we'd bought cheap carpets we would have detected the dodgy floorboards earlier!

Thanks Sylvia, we are just waiting for the treated boards to dry so we can put some of the carpets back down.

Eileen

x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
Janome
The Cotton Patch
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues