5757 forum posts
1678 photos
13 articles

Thank you Sylvia....it worked really well! R x

Margaret S26/03/2020 13:53:37
3949 forum posts
719 photos

Valerie

I have put the instructions for a quick and simple quilt in 'Show and Tell'. You can look at my photos to see how the pattern works out.

Margaret

stephs stitches.30/03/2020 17:03:49
162 forum posts
98 photos

Hi there fellow sewers, I hope everyone is getting lots of stitching done during this trying time 💐.
I have a problem, my Pfaff Quilt Expression 4 has let me down again. Its stuck doing around 30stitches to the inch and sounds like a bunch of rusty nails. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it needed a new stitch length motor. The fella who worked on it, a local machine technician said that he’d never work on one of those again, it was such a faff (‘scuse the pun). In order to replace that part he had to take the whole thing apart. The machine is only 7 years old, I paid just over £1000 for it so I was hoping it would last much longer without issues. My previous machine lasted 30 years + .
If it’s ready for the bin, I would appreciate any recommendations you may have, but I don’t plan on spending anywhere near that amount again.
sorry to rant on but - I miss sewing 😢

rosemary Rosenfeld30/03/2020 21:46:32
5757 forum posts
1678 photos
13 articles

Oh what a pain for you Steph! Machines are great until......!!

I'm sorry but I have no recommendations for you...my Elna lasted about 35 years from my 21st birthday...but I 'm on my third since! All different makes! Rosemary

stephs stitches.30/03/2020 21:48:16
162 forum posts
98 photos

I’m on the brink of ordering a Janome Atelier 3. Anyone tried one of these?

Edited By stephs stitches. on 30/03/2020 21:48:37

Margaret S30/03/2020 22:18:23
3949 forum posts
719 photos

So sorry for you Steph. I know that a lot of the Pfaff qe 4.0 were problematic. I've got the Pfaff qe 4.2 and it regularly has it's little go at thread getting caught round the thread cutting arm and breaking when it considers there is lint about, but I know how to strip it down and sort it. I love Pfaff but they are not made as well as they were.

I have been using 'The Beast', Janome Horizon 7700, to fmq for the last couple of days, and although it is not my favourite machine it has done everything that I asked of it.

Janome seem to be fairly reliable. Don't know anything about the Atelier, but if you are planning on doing fmq please read the reviews before you buy. The Pfaff 4.0 got terrible reviews.

Good luck.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 30/03/2020 22:18:55

stephs stitches.30/03/2020 22:25:19
162 forum posts
98 photos

Thanks for that Margaret, I’m absolute rubbish at fmq, so it’s walking foot all the time for me. I’ve found a good deal on the Janome with 10year guarantee and free quilting kit. The reviews I’ve read seem good so I’m very tempted. Plus it’s almost half what I paid for the Pfaff. I only sew for pleasure, a few gifts and charity bits and bobs so I don’t want to spend a fortune.

Sylvia31/03/2020 16:53:44
2113 forum posts
347 photos

Steph there are various online Janome groups with lots of helpful people. I belong to the one for my 6600P.

Eileen Foster31/03/2020 21:42:31
528 forum posts
298 photos

I have had a Janome for at least 10 yrs now Memory craft 9500 and it is an excellent work horse for me. So I would recommend Janome.

maria hewitt31/03/2020 21:57:27
970 forum posts
183 photos

Jamome gets my vote, although I don't think I use it as much as many of you, I've had one for many years, and am currently using my mums old new home, which was forerunner of janome with no problems, hope that doesn't jinx it, also had a elna little fold up machine e needs a service but I have eleventy billion different feet for it.

Not doing much sewing as I've isolated myself in the bedroom as far as I can, not that hubby has changed his ways much. Oh well.

Maria.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Janome
ECT
lewis and irene
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues