By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Margaret S17/03/2019 17:28:37
3884 forum posts
691 photos

Well done Rosemary and Eileen.

I have been ill for the past fortnight with a very bad cold. Think I got it at my quilt group. Given it to dh, which is bad news with his Crohns. My energy levels are very low so only managed 1.5 hrs yesterday and the same today doing big stitch hand quilting.

Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld17/03/2019 18:48:00
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

I think I totalled about 10 hr over the 2 days. There was a lot of sport on TV...so my time was my own! Rx

Winnie the B.O.L.B17/03/2019 18:52:41
3329 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

The design is very pretty, Rosemary; great to have something nice that can be done in a short space of time. What is the design called?

Margaret/Winnie xx

Winnie the B.O.L.B17/03/2019 18:56:08
3329 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

I hope you get better asap. Colds are such lousy things - they seem to take over your whole body!! Wish your DH a "get better soon" from me.

Margaret/Winnie xx

Winnie the B.O.L.B17/03/2019 19:08:26
3329 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Talking about time spent at the sewing machine etc! I spent quite a bit of time yesterday doing FMQ on the wee quilt that I made at the FMQ class I was at on Sunday. It is my beginning at that quilting and I had done all the preparation, sample blocks etc so thought I was ready to go - so, off I went. If you do FMQ, you'll know you are advised to stop as little as possible so I tried to be a good girl and did exactly that. I only had the centre "strip" to do today. All well so far!!

This afternoon I went up to my sewing room intending to complete my first effort! Yes, well - I turned it over just to have a look and to my horror, there were two great big "pleats/folds" in the backing fabric!! - I really mean folds - not just little tucks. I had spray basted it - my first time using that too.- and I think I hadn't done it securely and evenly enough and it had shifted! It honestly was too bad to leave it so I spent the whole of this afternoon "frog stitching" it all (28" x 28" - so not as bad as it could have been but I had used "loopy meander" so it was fairly intense!!

Oh well, that's life!

Margaret/Winnie xx

Margaret S17/03/2019 20:25:15
3884 forum posts
691 photos

Winnie, dh says 'thank you' for your get better wishes.

I admire your dedication to frog-stitch. I would have been tempted to make the pleated back a foundation and put another piece of fabric over it as a new backing!

Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld17/03/2019 21:34:03
5619 forum posts
1548 photos
13 articles

Oh dear Margaret..what a pain! I must say I rarely have anything other than spray basing...usually successfully ! Rx

Eileen Foster17/03/2019 22:21:44
444 forum posts
256 photos

A cold does make you feel really grotty doesn't it. I managed about 5 hours today, working on my rainbow blocks. I have had to stay home as I have had a prep day for a virtual ct scan of my gut tomorrow. I am soooo hungry and had last of the preparations at 10 pm.

I reckon I would also be horrified by that Margaret. Can I show my ignorance [yet again] what is frog stitch?

I have used spray basting on table mats but nothing bigger.

Eileen xx

Winnie the B.O.L.B17/03/2019 23:04:14
3329 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Margaret S - I completely agree with you - sore fingers and screaming point don't have a look in! Normally I would have done just that but, as that kind of luck so often has it, my backing was a particularly pretty fabric, chosen after much deliberation and thought (and I had no more) so I was really reluctant to hide it!!!

Hope DH is feeling even better tonight - and even more so by tomorrow morning.

Eileen - first of all - I'll send you virtual good luck with your scan tomorrow - just remind yourself how wonderful your first meal will be when your fast is finished!! As for "frog stitch" - no ignorance involved on your part - it's one of these "daft" expressions used by quilters like me who do lots of unpicking - the relevance is the sound made by frogs - ripit, ripit, ripit - try saying it out loud!

Rosemary and Eileen - any advice to give me re the spray baste - I just don't know what happened on such a relatively small item?

Margaret/Winnie xx

Eileen Foster18/03/2019 10:34:12
444 forum posts
256 photos

the scan although uncomfortable was over in 20 mins and I have had the best bacon and mushroom sandwich in the world laugh

I love the concept of unpicking being called frog stitching. sounds so much nicer doesn't it

As I said I have only used spray baste on small areas and probably used too much. it only lasts for about 2hrs before it lost its stick. Rosemary will be able to give you better advice.

I meant to say I thought your quilt was lovely Rosemary.

Eileen xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
C&T publishing
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues