Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Janet M21/10/2008 00:24:00
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles

Hi Margaret,

OMG I would never ever press the seams open unless it was in extreme circumstances, it only weakens the seams.

I guess there will be a bit of a discussion on this subject as all folk have there own ideas.

I always tell my ladies to press towards the dark where ever they can, sometimes even this is hard to do as the pattern may interrupt with the flow of the seams.

Who was it who said patchwork was easy, bet it was a bloke!! 

Good competition for the machine isn't it, will definitely enter. Can you not enter by email, that way your entry would be sure to get here on time?? Best have a word with Katy.

Janet 

Babs21/10/2008 09:41:00
385 forum posts
74 photos
9 articles
Margaret, Re: Seam pressing: The general consensus is that seams are pressed towards the dark fabric where possible, but here are no hard and fast rule since the advent of sewing machines with their small linked stitches. Think how difficult it is sometimes to unpick a seam. However, hand sewing with its inter-spaced stitches can produce weak seams if pressed open. There are times when you would end up with 4 or more thicknesses of fabric at a junction if you pressed to the dark fabric, so an open seam would be more viable. In other words, do what's best at that moment in time. No Quilt Police in Spain so you're OK! Babs
Katy21/10/2008 09:49:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
I've been told to press as appropriate for the particular seam in question, usually towards the dark, or towards the most open area, to create least bulk. I did a Quilt university Pressing basics course which really enouraged you to plan your pressing properly before you actually start sewing, as sometimes it is sensible to press in the opposite direction to allow for butting against the next piece to be joined. When either way would create extra bulk, then seams were pressed open. I must admit it really did work, my practice quilt top was lovely, but it isn't something I do as a matter of course, I'm too impatient.  I do follow the guidelines as I go, but I don't draw a pressing diagram and work it all out upfront.
Janet M21/10/2008 13:06:00
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Me too Katy, if I find the seam is laying the wrong way, I snip it very very carefully so it will go the other way. Naughty but nice so to speak!! Nine times out of ten the seams end up ok, and as long as your fabric isnt light for them to show through the front when quilt is finished, you may sneak by.  Bad girl janet
Margaret Goodson21/10/2008 14:45:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Ladies,

I've only ever pressed my seams first on the wrong side as it was sewn and then on the right side always towards the dark side where possible.

I had a little chuckle at Babs saying there are no quilt police in Spain   Just as well really!

What a day I'm having!  I turned on the PC this morning to find my monitor had died in the night  I suppose it could have been worse if it was the hard drive or something.  I'm just back from PC World - (yes, we have that here) and I now have a brand shiny new Samsung monitor which I'm currently trying to get used to.

Have a happy quilty kind of day everyone! 

Janet M21/10/2008 23:08:00
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles

Hi Katy,

WOW, thank you so much for picking me as the 'Cool Link' I love to think at my age I can be considered 'cool' hahaha.

Appreciate it.

Janet 

Margaret Goodson24/10/2008 19:04:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

I was wondering if there have any been any articles or patterns on hand piecing in back issues of the magazine and, if so, which ones?

I have this crazy desire to do a Grandmother's Flower Garden hexagon quilt.  

Is anyone currently working on a hexagon quilt or, better still, have you finished one? 

Babs24/10/2008 22:45:00
385 forum posts
74 photos
9 articles
Margaret, If you want to treat yourself for Christmas - then buy "Quiltmaking by Hand" by Jinny Beyer. It's the definitive book on hand quiltmaking. Students on my Beginners Sampler Course make their first few blocks using English Patchwork over papers technique in such designs as Tumbling Blocks and Grandmother's Flower Garden. You'll find instructions for these in most quilting books and probably find some detailed instructions on-line. However, If you let me have your email address via the message box I'll send some templates and instructions from my course to you. Babs
Margaret Goodson24/10/2008 22:57:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Babs,

Thank you!  I'm off to have a look at that book on Amazon right after I send you my email address

You're very kind to offer the course notes   .

Katy25/10/2008 12:10:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Margaret

Babs has posted a picture of her Sampler class for you! The attached pic gives an idea of one of her workshops earlier this year

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
Janome
Crafting Live
Sewing Quarter
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues