All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Janet M29/05/2009 22:47:49
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Shame on you Caz.

Get the machine out and give it a go.

I couldnt let it sit in the case festering.

You were so lucky, you had quite a run of winning I remember, we were all jealous. Think you should make a quilt on your new all singing and dancing machine, what say you girls???????

Janet
Caz30/05/2009 06:59:47
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Tell you what, I'll make my friendship block quilt on it! Then I can put some embroidery on it as well!

Caz
Janet M30/05/2009 22:21:54
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Brilliant idea.
Fiona31/05/2009 00:32:37
3131 forum posts
482 photos
Will look forward to seeing that, Caz! 
Julie Bannon01/06/2009 16:19:36
76 forum posts
i bought a bernina aurora qe, spent about £1100 on it when they came out. i bought it on a whim for the BSR foot as at that time i wanted to fmq.  in hindsight i should of practised on the machine i had which would of done it fine.  as it turns out i now prefer hand quilting.

im bad for falling for sales pitches, most of the features it has i wont use.  i like the alphabet and want to use that for labels but havent yet.  i had grand plans for using the fancy stitches for quilting etc but never did.  all it gets used to now is basic piecing and a few other simple things that a cheap machine could do.  

it came withh all the feet i will need, a walking foot, 1/4", edging foot, buttonhole, open toe foot  etc.  i also like the front loading bobbin as my previous machine was top loading.

my best investment was buying a Horn sewing cabinet, as the bernina is so heavy i wouldnt get so much done if i had to put it away all the time but i need to make a cover for it as i gatehrs dust easy.

dont get me wrong, its a great machine but i dont need all the features, could of spent a lot less.

so lessson learned - think about what you want the machine to do, dontget it fr something you my or may now use, think first
Janet M01/06/2009 22:26:49
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hey well said Julie.

What an expensive lesson to learn though!!

Jan
nutty net01/06/2009 22:37:51
1095 forum posts
100 photos
Hi,
Am going to make you all laugh!

My machine is a Janome J3-24, has got 24 stitches, no screen, does what it says on the tin for the bargain price of £160!!

Am i a bargain bird or what!!!
NN
Julie Bannon02/06/2009 08:17:47
76 forum posts
lol my first machine was a brother cant remember what one but cost about £250.  if i could of seen into the future it was all i eveer needed.  it didnt have screens, myonly complaint was the top loading bobbin.

however as my bernina does all i need will keep it, besides who know what i might want to do in the future :P

features i use regularly are, and like :

front loading bobbin, and its size
feet selection -  1/4", edging foot, walking foot
basic stitches, like button hole, straight stitch, zig zag
sewing button holes for when i make drawstring bags
alphabet - havent used it but will need to make labels soon and will use this

errr cant think of anything else right now, a cheaper machine will do all of those things though

anyone thinking of buying a machine, be honest with yourself and take some test samples with you to the shop.  take say some squares for piecing and a small sandwich so you can test the quilting.  try testing out all the things you will use, like how to thread it, zig zag etc.  a good shop should let you do this, we want our machines to last so do your homework.

ann grimes14/10/2015 23:03:54
1 forum posts

HAI MY NAME IS ANN I BOUGHT A LONGARM QUILTER AND FRAME FROM AMERICA MY HUSBAND HAD TO BUILD A NEW ROOM FOR ME SO I COULD GET IT IN IT TAKES A EXTRA LARGE KING SIZE QUILT , IT IS NOT NEW HAVE HAD A PLAY WITH IT ITS WONDERFULL, BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM I CANT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO USE IT PROPERLY AND I DONT KNOW ANY ONE WHO CAN SHOW ME AS I LIVE IN AYRSHIRE WEST SCOTLAND DO ES ANYONE KNOW WHO IS IN MY AREA THAT CAN COME TO MY HOUSE TO SHOW ME. I ALSO BROKE THE LASER PEN THAT FITS ON IT AND DONT KNOW WHERE TO FIND ONE.THANK YOU.ANN

Katy15/10/2015 11:05:53
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Hi Ann

I can't find any longarm quilters in Ayreshire, but **LINK** are in Perth, and Gillian Cooper, a textile artist, tutor and writer for PP rather than a longarm quilter is in Stirling, and she may know of someone nearer you.

There's also a book I reviewed once called Mastering the Art of longarm quilting by Gina Perkes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues