By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sewing Machines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ros27/05/2009 12:09:03
1040 forum posts
185 photos
Hi Jan,

I have to agree with you.  A good basic Bernina, and I've never wanted anything else, no screen, no fancy bits to go wrong.  I love the automatic tension setting.  I keep mine in a little Horn cabinet which can be put away easily.   May it live a long and happy life!

Ros

Katy27/05/2009 12:14:01
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
Ros -I think there's a lot to be said for something well made and less fancy!
Margaret - that sounds very clever though, like to  have a go with that reverse feature! You haven't broken anything with the forum posting, you just can't message yourself, so that's normal, everyone is the same!
Fiona27/05/2009 12:27:42
3131 forum posts
482 photos

Funnily enough, this discussion was listed in today's newsletter- I'd also forgotten to mention that I love a needle up-down button!

Edited By Katy on 27/05/2009 12:30:27

Katy27/05/2009 12:31:17
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
That's odd Fiona, I didn't know everyone else was talking about the same thing!
Margaret S27/05/2009 17:20:35
4008 forum posts
751 photos
Katy

Thanks for the help.

I do like machines with as many 'bells and whistles' as I can afford! 

Which ever machine you go for, check the length of guarantee. Some dealers increase the manufacturers guarantee quite considerably.

Margaret

Janet M27/05/2009 17:38:55
5700 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Hi Katy,
I'm afraid my machine is out all the time - wouldn't you know!! Sometimes if I know I'm not going to use it I sling a quilt over it. Well, why not, it made them after all.
Yep, mine has that feature too, I can go backwards automatically just have to press a button and it stays til I press it again.
Oh yes I like the closer or further feature too, and the fantasy buttons. and the memory, well I just love my machine I guess.
Wouldn't change a thing, cept it needs a new motor.
Janet
Cath27/05/2009 17:54:43
871 forum posts
195 photos
Hi Katy,

I've been thinking about sewing machines lately too, and have been looking to see where my nearest best, big showroom is.

I have a Janome  that I bought about nine or ten years ago. It's been really reliable so far, but I would like something with a longer arm and a machine that rewinds bobbins as you sew! Is there such a machine? I had to buy a walking foot and an open toe darning foot for free motion machining, but the darning foot only lasted about a year! I think it must have suffered metal fatigue because the pin that fits over the needle screw snapped. I do use it a lot, but at the price of them I would expect a much longer life.

I'm not really into fancy stitching or embroidery, but I do use the zigzag stitch for all sorts of work. My machine is also left out, and it has a hard cover.

My previous machine was very basic and I'd had it for about thirty odd years. It needed oiling and lots more looking after. In fact, when I first bought my Janome I couldn't believe that it was self lubricating, so at least that's something I don't have to worry about any more.

I suppose that at the end of the day,  I want  reliability, feed dogs down facility, automatic tension setting, (sounds like a good idea), needle up/down button, long arm, lots of room, good lighting, feet that last, and an automatic bobbin winder that fills a spool while you sew. Maybe just a few fancy stitches, but definitely zigzag, and I've not had an alphabet stitch before, but that sounds good too. Oh!! and a good reasonable price!
Tessa27/05/2009 22:38:20
5765 forum posts
485 photos
13 articles
Hi Katy,

I have a 20 year old Janome that I bought in Canada...used a converter with it and it just hummed.  My DP bought me the new Janome Jubilee 18 months ago for only £300 and it is a little gem. 

Not a heavy machine, has a hard carrying case, but will make a soft cover for it as I leave it out all the time.  It has 200 different stitches (which include the alphabet)....easy drop feed dogs, came with lots of different feet. up/down needle button, and lots of other special features.   It didn't come with an extention arm, as there wasn't one made for that model....but I wouldn't have room for it anyway....

I don't like too many bells and whistles as there would be more to go wrong...so I really like the machine that Terry got for me.  It does have a much stronger punch on the needle, will go through leather like water.  My older machine would have broken the needle.    All in all....I'm very pleased with it. 

Tessa
Joan29/05/2009 20:50:46
594 forum posts
8 photos
reading  about machines,     I was curious to see what  make make you all prefer,

I have  a Janome  4800    with the gadgets and quilters table  etc,     cost  £400.

I would have loved a Phaff   but the one I would have liked  was just over  £1,000,  

BUT

a, could not justify  the price at the time, 

b. could not afford it anyway  

c. with all  the things that my machine does ,  and I've not even tried  them out yet

Joan 
Caz29/05/2009 22:26:11
2545 forum posts
273 photos
Hi ladies,
My first machine was a Janome/New Home from Argos, basic machine. Then I got a bargain in a department store last year, a Janome 4900 for £300, half the proper price.
And as some of you know, I was fortunate enough to win my Brother from the magazine earlier this year. I haven't really used it yet, but it has whistles and bells.

Caz

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues