By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

County Blocks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy15/09/2008 14:35:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

I've just added the Minnesota block to our Blocks articles. There are loads of blocks associated with US States, and that started us thinking about blocks associated to English counties. As a result, I've added the Northumberland Star block too, although this was first published in the US, it must have origins in England.

Where do you live, and which block would you choose to represent your county? I'll send a Fat Quarter bundle to the person who submits the best post. Let me know your ideas, designs, or even pictures of your completed blocks for a chance to win! Closing date for the competition is 30th September. I live in Cheshire so I'm thinking of designing a new Cheshire Cat block. Or should I make a cheese block instead?

Caz18/09/2008 16:25:00
2545 forum posts
273 photos

I live in the town of Chatham, in Kent, which is well known for the Napoleonic Forts and the building of HMS Victory. We all know this to be Nelsons'  flagship. The Historic Naval Dockyard also had a hand in building the first nuclear submarine. Kent is the 'Garden of England', and well known for the hop farms and beers! There are so many  fantastic buildings of historical importance, ie Dover Castle, Battle Abbey.

To design a block for this county could be quite difficult, as it has a connection to the sea, and the land. I would like the block to have a bit of everything in it. A boat, flowers, maybe a castle (Leeds or Dover), or maybe just have an iconic landmark on it. Canterbury Cathedral springs to mind.

I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures to illustrate this, so imagination is needed for this block.

Caz.

Maggie Mckay20/09/2008 13:08:00
447 forum posts
86 photos

Hi Caz

I am a Maid of Kent and also live in Kent and think I would need more than 1 block to represent Kent as it has paid such a large part in my life

1 a block showing the Men of Kent and Kentish Men this would be a map of Kent with the River Medway running through it with East and West marked as Men of Kent are born East of The Medway and Kentish Men West of The Medway (husband  and youngest son  are Men of Kent)

2 a block showing the White Horse Invicta on a red background as this is Kent's County Symbol

3 a block to promote Kent's History and Produce would feature a sheep (rommney marsh) an oast house(hop field and beer) a castle(we have many) Canterbury Cathederal,The Pharos at Dover Castle(roman times) a tractor (farming) a warship (naval history) bucket and spade (seaside holidays)

4 a block of personal memories of Kent would have a football for Gillingham Football Club (i am a Gillingham Girl and my Dad was as great fan) The Church at Twydall (where my Dad was church warden and I was married) the Gravesend to Tilbury Ferry (for when I was first married and lived in Gravesend and worked in Tilbury) Dover Castle (for where I live now )  an oyster (Whitstable where my Grandma was born) Hops(for Faversham where my Mum was born) lambs and fruit trees (happy days out as a child)

the first 2 blocks I can find pictures for the other 2 would have to be down to my drawing skills that is where the problem would start as I am no artist

thepatchworkfairy20/09/2008 13:17:00
2 forum posts

I live in Lancashire so the Red Rose block would seem appropiriate, However being near to  Blackpool and the seaside I would like to try to do a Blackpool tower, big wheel and the Pepsi Max ride from the Pleasure beach.  I thing these would work well being metal structures as a stained glass effect over a background of sea/sky and sand.

Michelle Davies27/09/2008 09:38:00
2 forum posts

I live in what was Northumberland and we are very lucky to have 2 brilliant quilt collections near us at the Bowes museum and Beamish.There is a strong quilting tradition and my block is based on a strippy quilt an old favourite here.

I have quilted it to represent a pit head wheel as mining was a major industry. Working down a pit was a horrible dangerous job with many injured or killed and many a wife had to quilt to feed her family. A bit depressing I know I could have chosen our lovely coastline, castles, Northumberland bagpipes and tartan.

Katy27/09/2008 10:32:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Michelle

Please could you post your picture again, we'd love to see your block!

Katy 

Michelle Davies27/09/2008 18:46:00
2 forum posts

Sorry I'm new at this and am having a bit of trouble!

Hope you could see the picture on the last post.

Michelle

Katy29/09/2008 07:56:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Michelle

We still can't see your block, but our anticipation is growing! Can you email your picture to me at katy.purvis@magicalia.com,and I'll see what I can do!

Katy 

Katy29/09/2008 19:35:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

http://www.popularpatchwork.com/sites/4/images/article_images/northumberland.jpg

Here's Michelle's block, which some of you may recognise from earlier this summer!
Katy01/10/2008 13:00:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

After much deliberation, we've decided that Maggie is the winner, she put so much thought into her ideas for Kentish blocks. I think she's got a great basis for a quilt there, maybe we can persuade her to turn it into reality!

Thanks to everyone who contributed, any of you who fancy making your blocks - post them here - and maybe we'll give out some more prizes later!

Katy 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
Janome
ECT
lewis and irene
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues