By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

cutting mats

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pamela Wales04/09/2008 08:33:00
2 forum posts

I have a new cutting mat which is blunting my rotary cutter.  Previously I have used a Fiskers mat and it has been brilliant.  This new mat has no name on it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank

Pamela

Ruth Carter-Hale04/07/2010 16:19:49
43 forum posts
23 photos
i have not had this problem but wondering were you bought the new mat was it at a show?
Fiona05/07/2010 07:50:19
3115 forum posts
465 photos
Some of the cheaper mats will do this. You can either resign yourself to replacing blades at a faster rate or replace it. In which case, recycle the mat as craft  / messy mat, put it under the sewing machine to help deaden the motor noise, use it under a pet bowl or slip it into a padded cover as a pretty heat resistant mat.
If you want to cut up a mat to re-use it, a stanley blade is best unless you have a fancy table-saw - score it, bend along the fold then turn over and cut along the fold again. A bit of sandpaper will smooth the edges.
Maggi B06/07/2010 20:52:24
770 forum posts
97 photos
I bought a cheaper mat at a Hobbycraft show some years ago and it is not self healing, even though it was supposed to be. Sounds like you have something like this Pamela.
I agree with Fiona but I would add that as well as blunting your blades you are likely to get grooves that the blades might veer off into, making your cutting less accurate. Mine is in constant use for cutting things like paper with a craft knife and is fine for that.
Do shop around if you want a new mat. I picked up a set of three 24" x 36" Olfa mat in a local shop for £30. She was selling them off cheaply because the top one has some fading on it where the sun had caught it. I paid the money and ran before she could change her mind!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Sewing Quarter
Janome
Crafting Live
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
SewAndSo
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues