By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What sewing machine to choose for quilting, which brands are the best?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mary Smith 308/08/2021 21:55:59
5 forum posts

Quilting is an excellent way of creative self-expression in the sewing world. What do you need for a perfect seam? To inspire you and help you realize all your creative ideas – just your imagination and a high-quality sewing machine. Whether you are an experienced craftsman or just a beginner, choosing a sewing machine according to your taste and requirements is crucial.

So, what sewing machine to choose for quilting, which brands to prefer?

Edited By Mary Smith 3 on 08/08/2021 21:56:41

Fiona31/08/2021 11:21:45
3138 forum posts
486 photos

My list of wants in a sewing machine is relatively small - an accurate 1/4" foot for piecing, a decent blanket stitch for applique & as much room under the arm as possible. Extra's - a single hole plate helps with accurate piecing, a stop/start button, speed control, needle up/down function.

It's best to make your own list and then visit a local dealer both for advice & to try a few out. Also, although you may well be able to buy cheaper online, you need somewhere local to have your machine serviced or repaired!

In the past, I loved my mini Janome Gem until I literally wore it out. I've also had both a basic & a preloved Husqvarna which are both very good. I last chose a Pfaff Ambition 1.0 because it had the biggest harp (space under arm) in my budget range and I absolutely love the IDT feature as I no longer need to fiddle to put a walking foot on - actually, I pretty much use the IDT feet constantly. I've had it 6yrs, quilted miles with it, and interestingly, it's still on sale at around the same price (£750ish).

rosemary Rosenfeld03/09/2021 09:39:35
5927 forum posts
1741 photos
13 articles

I love my Pfaff too Fiona!

Great to her from you!

Best Rosemary x

Edited By rosemary Rosenfeld on 03/09/2021 09:40:01

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Support Our Partners
Janome
ECT
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues

Shopping Partners