By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

tying a quilt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster09/08/2020 20:10:51
599 forum posts
329 photos

I am on another project for my friend, Dawn, she wants a king sized bed quilt .She loves the idea of the quilt reaching the floor and tucked fully under and back over the pillows so the size will be 114" wide by 96" deep,

I know I wont be able to get it under my Janome memory craft 9500. So I was thinking of tying it in the middle of every 51/2" block . [there are 357 blocks in total]. Or would it be better to tie in the junction where every 4 blocks join?

Do you double tie each twin knot?

Do you have the lose tails on the top or the bottom?

Do any thread types do better than others?

I have read so much conflicting advice so any advice from those that have used this technique is very welcome.

rosemary Rosenfeld10/08/2020 10:50:25
5842 forum posts
1710 photos
13 articles

Sounds like a plan..but I have never tried it! Best Rosemary

Margaret S10/08/2020 11:14:03
4004 forum posts
751 photos

Never tried it Eileen, cos to be honest I'm not a fan. The dressmaker in me sees flattened tailor tacks! Vintage quilts seem to use a thicker, strong thread and you need one that will hold a double knot. Knot ends are on the top of the quilt and don't cut the ends too short. It would be pretty to knot in the middle of the blocks, particularly if you used different colour threads, but would this make the block joins poke up?

Can't you make it in units and quilt as you go?

Many years ago a member of our group who is American made a huge quilt for her sil, it was well over 9ft square and beautiful. She used 80/20 wadding and it weighed a ton! I often wondered how it was received when shipped to Hawaii, and how much it cost to ship!

Margaret

Eileen Foster10/08/2020 15:10:34
599 forum posts
329 photos

thanks ladies, This will be the biggest I've made it will be11ft x 8 ft give or take an odd inch.

I have done qayg on her other quilts but she has bought the 108 " wide backing fabric so it doesn't get cut up, so I cant really justify doing it that way.

I had thought of using crotchet thread as that doesn't seem to slip as easily as say cotton perle. Though hubby says using a reef knot with a half hitch at each end will stop it slipping. I feel I will have a knot tying lessen soon! [he is a yachtsman after all.

I will be using 80/20 wadding and I hadn't thought of the corners poking up. I will have to have a play I think.

mmm! why do I take on these tasks? rhetorical question, don't go querying my sanity smile p

Fiona26/08/2020 12:58:44
3127 forum posts
479 photos

Eileen, I have tried several quilts & it's a slow process (is never as fast as I imagine!) but very effective. I usually use Perle cotton (no 5or 8) in a big darning needle. I generally start at one end of a row and make my way to the other, stitching through at each intended point twice without cutting but leaving enough slack to knot later. Once I get to the end, I then go back & cut & knot the thread securely. You can trim close to the knot or leave longer as decoration. It can seen wasteful in terms of thread doing it this way but it seems easier on my hands & is quicker this way.

You can add buttons or other trims, tie on the front or back, the choice is endless!

Have you seen Karin Hellaby's method of quilt as you go where she bastes the backing & wadding together and then stitches down complete rows, working from the centre out. You could then go back and add ties if you like. A friend is currently quilting a sampler quilt in a similar way by just quilting through the wadding then stitch& flip onto the backing, so she's never dealing with more than one row at a time under her machine and didn't have to cut up the glorious duvet cover she bought for the backing!

Eileen Foster26/08/2020 13:16:03
599 forum posts
329 photos

Thanks Fiona for your input and advice. I have been given crochet cotton to use and I had planned to do it row by row..

I often do a QAYG method and have used this one suggested by Karin before. However this quilt is 114" x 96" and will not fit under the throat of my machine. I will pin the quilt sandwich then tie. The top is almost complete and I will post pictures soon.

eileen

x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ECT
The Cotton Patch
Janome
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues