By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What product do I need? help!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster29/06/2020 21:00:08
608 forum posts
332 photos

I am struggling and need help please.

I want to make a cloth roll for my daughter to keep her crochet hooks in.[Similar to a jewelry roll.] I know what I want to make but I need a thin wadding between the other fabric and the lining. Normal 80/20 is too thick. Sew in dress interfacing is too thin.

What is the product I need? I seem to remember seeing a fusible thin sheet on a sewing channel. But my local shop doesn't know what I mean.

Any one able to help me with a name please?

thanks

Eileen

Fiona29/06/2020 21:40:53
3131 forum posts
482 photos

I think you are after a fusible wadding - Vilene make it (can't remember the new company name!) Try Empress Mills or Creative Grids, to at least give you a starting point. I think I purchased a crib sized piece from Alison Smart at Smartfrog.

Margaret S29/06/2020 22:35:10
4008 forum posts
751 photos

Not fusible, but I always use Thermore for thin wadding jobs.

Good to have you back Fiona. Hope you are well.

Margaret

Eileen Foster30/06/2020 13:38:38
608 forum posts
332 photos

Thanks ladies I will have a look.

Eileen x

Eileen Foster07/07/2020 08:16:38
608 forum posts
332 photos

it was Visilene H640 fusible wadding I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Fiona. My eldest daughter knew what it was, she said they used it a lot at uni when they were making accessories for their fashion collections. More to the point she had some in her 'box of wonders'. Because she did gents tailoring I never thought to ask her.

thanks for the help ladies, much appreciated.

stephs stitches.08/08/2020 14:06:30
173 forum posts
107 photos

I would like to learn how to use quilting rulers. I hadn’t heard of them until recently and I’m curious. I have a Janome Atelier 3. I’m absolutely useless at free motion quilting, I think you need a little artistic ability to be able to do this. I have trouble drawing a stick man 🤣. Any advice welcome 😀. Maybe an idea for the magazine?

Margaret S10/08/2020 11:26:41
4008 forum posts
751 photos

I have been very tardy in replying on machine quilt rulers. Because of arthritis in my hands I find them easier than fmq unaided, particularly the ones with a channel that the foot slots down into, but I find them nowhere near as easy to use as suggested by the demos you see, but I am a complete novice and the demonstrators can already fmq well. I think it would be easier with 80/20 wadding, but I have got a big roll of Hobbs poly to use up, and it does drag a bit on poly. Even my amateurish efforts are much quicker than walking foot quilting. Like everything it seems that practice is the key.

Margaret

stephs stitches.10/08/2020 12:45:13
173 forum posts
107 photos

Thank you for your answer Margaret, I think I’ll wait until I can get a “real life” demo before I spend on any rulers. My local quilt shop was doing classes and workshop until lockdown. Hopefully they will start up again sometime 🤞🏻. Meanwhile I’ll carry on with the walking foot 😀

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues