By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Mystery quilt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster16/06/2020 16:46:15
591 forum posts
329 photos

it is all quilted now ready for tying off all the threads. I do, do some as I go but when I have short stretches I tend not to.

1st photo is of the central bit quilted, the 2nd is the corner bit and the 3rd is the whole thing. ready to be tidied up and then bound. I am not going to add an extra border.

central portion quilted.jpg

central corner detail.jpg

quilted unbound.jpg

it was all machined on my trusty Janome and I used the walking foot as a guide and by eye. Its the most quilting I have ever done on quilt.

Eileen x

Margaret S18/06/2020 09:30:55
4000 forum posts
750 photos

That is lovely, Eileen. It has a 'vintage' feel about it. Since discovering self threading needles I don't mind sewing in ends. Does your machine have a wider space to get the quilt through?

I do like quilts to have lots of traditional quilting, and I love the secondary patterns on yours. Conversely, my mystery quilt has very little! Mine is finished but I haven't got round to taking photos yet.

Margaret

Eileen Foster18/06/2020 11:25:10
591 forum posts
329 photos

Thanks Margaret, yes self threading needles are brilliant. It is remembering to leave a long enough tail end of thread that's my biggest problem. The Janome 9500 memory craft I use has a standard throat so it can be a little snug under there. I do like echo quilting to enhance a pattern within the block.

Eileen x

Sylvia19/06/2020 09:45:28
2143 forum posts
358 photos

Fantastic Eileen and that quilting adds so much to the finished effect.

Eileen Foster19/06/2020 23:07:51
591 forum posts
329 photos

Well ended hanging it on the line to photo it. not the best of shots. it is square but I lost some of the points on the big white diamonds/squares in the process. This corner has almost got its points so I am really happy to share that with you.

quilt 1.jpg

corner turned down onto backing

Eileen x

Edited By Eileen Foster on 19/06/2020 23:09:34

Margaret S20/06/2020 09:55:06
4000 forum posts
750 photos

That's a great quilt, Eileen. I love the red backing.

Here is mine. You wouldn't believe they were the same instructions, would you? I cut points off too when I brought the binding over from the back to machine down on the front. The Dear Stella fabric that I used on the back is printed over 1" off the straight grain and is probably why it was sold cheap in 5m lengths!

Margaret

Mystery Quilt

Eileen Foster22/07/2020 08:30:20
591 forum posts
329 photos

wow that is so different to mine but I do like it very much. I have been teased by some of my group because I have made mine a 'regular' pattern. They say I cant do random and one copied me into a message I assume by mistake as she was rather catty about me being 'mathematically minded'. wouldn't it be a dull world if we were all the same.

as for your backing fabric being off the square I was given 2 pre-quilted panels 'denim bears' and asked to make them into baby quilts but they run off by 1 1/2" and the backing also runs off in the other direction. I really made me anxious when I was trying to do them. My daughter said it didn't really show. I will post photos later.

Eileen x

Margaret S22/07/2020 14:26:17
4000 forum posts
750 photos

Eileen, I am 'mathematically minded' too. My 'random' is usually balanced. I can't help it. It would indeed be a dull world if we were all the same and then we would have no need to bounce ideas off each other. I am of the school that if you like it and it pleases you then blow what others think.

Margaret

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
Janome
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues