3995 forum posts
748 photos

Finished top.

Margaret

Mystery quilt - finished top

Eileen Foster27/05/2020 08:40:09
586 forum posts
328 photos

That is lovely Margaret. Can I ask what is big stich quilting? How big are the stitches? I have several skeins of Perle cotton threads and if I could use them that would be wonderful. They have been in my cabinet for about 20 yrs now.

Sylvia29/05/2020 14:30:33
2143 forum posts
358 photos

I just love the look of that Margaret, well done.

Margaret S30/05/2020 11:54:23
3995 forum posts
748 photos

Eileen, big stitches are up to 1/4" long and as evenly spaced as possible. With perle #8 my stitches are about that size. Very effective when used 1/8" or 1/4" from seam line in traditional quilting, 'modern' is often straight lines. Quicker than traditional hand quilting, but I find it makes my fingers sore.

My quilt is now sandwiched and I have started the quilting.

Perils of ordering thread on the internet - what I thought was scarlet red turns out to be dark orange and light brown turns out to be ochre! I have some brown in perle #5 so I will have to see if I can work with that.

Hope your backing fabric has arrived.

Margaret

Eileen Foster30/05/2020 16:12:04
586 forum posts
328 photos

it was dispatched yesterday and can take up to 14 days due to all the extra post in the system. I hope that the red I have odered is more of a brownish red rather than a scarlet red. But like you say its the perils of online ordering and the way the computer renders it on the screen.

Love what you have been doing and thanks for the info on big stitching.

Margaret S30/05/2020 17:58:26
3995 forum posts
748 photos

I know your supplier never seems to hurry in despatching orders, but that is a huge wait, Eileen. I ordered a kit on 25 May from Euro Japan Links and it arrived today. On the 26th May I ordered some machine rulers from Silesian Quilts and they arrived from Poland today, admittedly by courier as the Polish mail will not handle parcels at present, but days before it was expected to arrive.

Hope your parcel arrives soon. I have been surprised at how quickly things have been getting through.

Margaret

Eileen Foster31/05/2020 09:03:06
586 forum posts
328 photos

To be fair to Doughty's it is only rarely that things get delayed. I have had good very good service in the past. They are saying they have had tremendous uptake in sales due to lockdown. I think they also have had to reorganise themselves to the social distancing rules.

My local shop was slow in placing special orders and when they need local customers it seemed silly.

Eileen x

Eileen Foster01/06/2020 17:16:53
586 forum posts
328 photos

Guess what turned up in the post today just as I was off out on the motor bike with beloved?

my backing fabric and I am delighted with it.backing fabric.jpg

the colours are a good match for the reds in the blocks though the photos don't suggest it.

blocks on backing.jpg

pattern match.jpg

I now have to find the time to get on with it.

I am so pleased with it.

Eileen x

Margaret S04/06/2020 15:09:32
3995 forum posts
748 photos

That was brave and to get it right, Eileen. I once ordered 3 shades of red for a PP swap, and they were all wrong. One of them is still in my stash.

I have quilted the 4 patch, double 4 patch and triple rail blocks. I am now on the hsts. I did use the brown perle #5 and it made my fingers sore and was difficult to get the knot to 'pop' when burying the threads.

Have you managed to find time to work on yours?

Margaret

Eileen Foster04/06/2020 18:40:57
586 forum posts
328 photos

I am putting all the sections together and I will not do it as a QAYG now. Just have to wash up the tea things then I can do the final 4 sections.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of British Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find British Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
The Cotton Patch
ECT
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues